New to us Variety

wooduck

5 year old buck +
Will be taking delivery of a new variety of tree out of the u of m , we ordered these trees 3 years ago does not have an official name yet goes by mn 55 its a cross of honeycrisp and min ark and will produce a honeycrisp quality apple 4 to 5 weeks earlier than honeycrisp, Bright red , honeycrisp crunch , sweet , These trees are on bud 9 roots and will be 4 ft apart on trellis , we anticipate light fruiting by second leaf . 300 mn55 and 100 more honeycrisp going to be busy for two days . Been waiting along time for this

Exciting! Good luck with the new variety.

Will be taking delivery of a new variety of tree out of the u of m , we ordered these trees 3 years ago does not have an official name yet goes by mn 55 its a cross of honeycrisp and min ark and will produce a honeycrisp quality apple 4 to 5 weeks earlier than honeycrisp, Bright red , honeycrisp crunch , sweet , These trees are on bud 9 roots and will be 4 ft apart on trellis , we anticipate light fruiting by second leaf . 300 mn55 and 100 more honeycrisp going to be busy for two days . Been waiting along time for this

How much were the trees and how did you go about ordering them. I have been thinking of planting a couple of trees for the last few years but never have. This year I am going to do it.

When we order trees in groups of 100 and up our pricing delivered here is about $11.00 per tree , For small orders you cant beat Cummings, ect they seem to specialize in wildlife trees with the right rootstock for deer ect

Yep - Cummins or St. Lawrence Nursery. Both in N.Y. and both great with trees. I've been buying from both of them for 4 years now - no problems.

Wooduck, are you part of a trial or have other growers grown them? Good to have a good quality apple early. We've been doing great with Zestar! for that reason. We keep adding some every spring.

Good luck with them and keep us posted.

Big release this year Stemlit orchards are in charge of release , Many thousands going in the ground this year several west coast nurseries propagated our trees are from Cameron nursery controlled release , lots of contract to get them will be earlier than zestars and firmer after the pick , not sure but may not be available out of Minnesota for current growers. We are hoping the quality will be high and start our apple season sooner . I have tasted the Apple and liked it , This is Apple opinion Zestar is a great apple and we grow it here but its not a sweetango by any way , we believe Mn55 will bring a higher quality apple to sell much earlier in the season . Going to be real sore by sunday night

Have heard some rumors out of u of m they may have another coming MN1984 don't know details , qualities yet, we may not try that one getting to be a lot of them out there .

Last edited: