New project: .308 AR10

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
IMAG1075.jpg

Still waiting on the rest of it, but it's starting to take shape.

Thanks Jim you made me drool all over my keyboard.

Awesome, I been toying around the idea of a .308 upper for my colt. You may have put me over the top.

That's what friends are for right?

I should mention: I get to write this sucker off for work too! :cool:

Things en route:

PRS stock (black)
Midwest Industries 15" SSK handguard
Black Hole Weaponry 18" mid gas barrel (to be chopped by me to 16")
Hipertouch 24 elite trigger
And the rest of the innards (NiB bolt carrier group, buffer, spring)

I'll probably move the Conquest off my 300BLK AR to this sucker until I have some more disposable income for a piece of glass befitting it.

Awesome, I been toying around the idea of a .308 upper for my colt. You may have put me over the top.

What colt would that be? 300BLK is a lot of fun, but it's no .308 Winchester. :D

This is my deer ethical 300BLK AR pistol (better ballistics than .357 Mag):
IMAG0501.jpg

My 300BLK rifle:
IMAG0497.jpg

I've got a couple other AR's too. They're addictive. :)

Beautiful guns. I have a FNAR 308 that I love.

Have you tried the Winchester 150 grain Power Point in any 308 guns? It shoots better than any other factory load in mine. Sub MOA at 100 yds.

Last edited:
I have some Federal soft points left over from when I deer hunted with my CETME, but I haven't shot anything but hand loads outside of mil surp in years. I have a buddy at Federal scooping me up some seconds for STD testing in trade for some old Federal shot shells and .22lr in their original packaging I have. I generally shoot a similar load to the M118LR precision round the military uses since we can get the same powder and projectiles and it's a very consistent cartridge from gun to gun. The ones I have made up don't really fit in the pmag's. I loaded them long for the Keltec RFB's gianormous leade, and now need to bump them back about .010" and possibly recrimp them. I'll check the new barrel first before I do anything. They'll physically fit in the pmags, but the meplat scrapes the wall in the mag.

Don't buy a RFB if you like accurate guns either. It was one of the friendliest .308's I've ever shot as a shooter (due to the highly tuneable gas system), and it was a nightmare experience otherwise. I don't think their 36" "target" barrel is going to fix the accuracy problems with that chamber design. o_O

oooooohhhhhh they are purdy! I just got into the black rifles a few months ago....you are right they are addictive. forgive my ignorance but what in the hell is that beastly gnurled thing on the muzzle of the .300BLK pistol?

What colt would that be? 300BLK is a lot of fun, but it's no .308 Winchester. :D

This is my deer ethical 300BLK AR pistol (better ballistics than .357 Mag):
IMAG0501.jpg

My 300BLK rifle:
IMAG0497.jpg

I've got a couple other AR's too. They're addictive. :)
I have an old school AR colt upper on a M&P lower I have been tossing around ideas with what to do to update it? And I keep coming back to .308

.308 Winchester won't fit in an AR15 mag well. That's why this is an AR10 platform - much bigger gun.

good to know, I haven't looked into much. I just been throwing some ideas around.

DSCN14251.jpg

Tan mag is 20 round 5.56/.223
Black mag under it is 10 round .308 Winchester

Cartridges from top to bottom/ Velocities out of a 16" barrel:
77gr .223/2650
155gr 300BLK/1900
150gr .308/2450

since we are dropping in specs, this is the load I run in my 45 70. There are a couple loads that are faster, but accuracy suffers.

Nosler Partition 300 gr .458"
IMR 4198 53.8gr
CCI 200 2324 velocity
3599 muzzle energy
0.5"group size

Mikmaze, what are you using the 45 70 for. Do you do allot of bear hunting? :-)

its my heavy cover deer gun, and if I ever go after wild hogs it will be in my hands, and their nightmares.

oooooohhhhhh they are purdy! I just got into the black rifles a few months ago....you are right they are addictive. forgive my ignorance but what in the hell is that beastly gnurled thing on the muzzle of the .300BLK pistol?

Sorry, I missed this earlier Phil. Those both have my 300BLK STD on them. Simple Threaded Devices is my company. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?i...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A35WXYX1GOTH29

The 5.56 STD's should be going live on Amazon sometime today as well.

Both models have been in production a little over a year.

More info and pics than my lame website: https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices