New parcel purchase options

Can't imagine wasting that much time traveling. Hats off to you guys running that far. I couldn't and wouldn't.

Can't imagine wasting that much time traveling. Hats off to you guys running that far. I couldn't and wouldn't.

My place is 65 minutes away while the inlaws is 105. So much more difficult to get to the latter, it takes up an entire day. I just made it up there yesterday for the first time this spring and didn’t get all my projects done. With little kids, time is my most precious commodity; I can’t commit an entire weekend to farm stuff or I’d come home to an empty house and divorce papers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My place is 65 minutes away while the inlaws is 105. So much more difficult to get to the latter, it takes up an entire day. I just made it up there yesterday for the first time this spring and didn’t get all my projects done. With little kids, time is my most precious commodity; I can’t commit an entire weekend to farm stuff or I’d come home to an empty house and divorce papers

I feel ya. Same boat. Mine is 2 hours. I make day trips when it’s not hunting season. We have gotten into some spirited “debates” about going to the farm. As soon as I find my dream place I’m building a house on it and bringing them…problem solved.

In my opinion traveling to a good hunting destination with friends and family is not a waste of time.

We spend the long weekend/4 days on my Iowa farm and it’s like a vacation! It’s a blast actually. I enjoy every minute of it.

We not only have great hunting, but we also do the shed hunting or habitat work!

The camaraderie of beers and steak at the cabin are equally as fun. It’s a blast ! Can’t wait for the next trip down (tree planting) in 2 weeks.

My land is 3.5 hours away at 1K per acre it was hard to pass up (northern WI). Every time i go up there its consistent work with few breaks and zero dicking around. Garage should be up at the end of this week so i guess ill get to slow down and enjoy it up there....probably not haha too many projects.

I used to do 6 hours each way. You had to really love it to do that, and I do. Now I’m about 2.5 hours out, and I can do that on one cup of coffee.

It’s been a real steaming turd, this winter that won’t end. Still, there’s no place I’d rather spend the weekend. I got to grill this weekend, fix some doors, tinker a bit, and organize my garage.

It still looks like this out my window. That snow is still 12-30” depending where you’re at in the yard. The forest isn’t that bad, but at least I’ll be able to hoard all melt water. I got a hunch we’re gonna need it.

90d514e308084c3ba304b8652cdb8765.jpg

Dang, what county is that? We've been mowing grass for a week here.

Congrats on the land purchase. Having land close to home is great, but there is something appealing about owning land a little ways away that is "different".

I live in farm country and it is pretty cool when we step out of the truck at the cabin and smell pine trees and spruce swamp.

That's north central MN, the land that climate change forgot.
Deer are having a tough go up there for sure. Forecast doesn't look encouraging either.

^^^When I was up last week I thought the deer looked decent, except for the one the wolves killed in the field about 500 feet from my driveway.... :emoji_rage::emoji_rage::emoji_rage::emoji_rage:. A bunch of the fields have opened up and the deer were in those fields all day long. Woods was still full of snow. Unfortunately the feathered land-based carp looked good too. Our deer population appears to be about 1/3 of what it was just a few years ago, and now they will continue the slaughter cause they found CWD 20 miles away. For sure the deer look better than they did coming out of 2014 winter.... That one was tough to watch.

IMG_8505.JPGIMG_8519.JPGIMG_8521.JPGIMG_8526.JPGIMG_8531.JPG

Deer are having a tough go up there for sure. Forecast doesn't look encouraging either.
We're past the worst of it now. At least they can move around again. Most of the fields are open and snow free. I think every single deer has poured out of the woods though. I saw deer feeding in the open, everywhere, all day long on Saturday. We could be in trouble though if that's all of them though.

It'll still take another couple weeks to get rid of the snow at the rate this weather is going.

We added about 2" this morning, and more coming. This morning the trees were all white, it looked so pretty outside, if it were December.

I think he meant the rental income pays the annual taxes. There would be a ton of interest in a property if the rental income came remotely close to paying the monthly mortgage payment.

On the other hand, if you put down a large enough down payment it may be possible to make the payment with the rental income but that would only be because of the large down payment.

No, there was a time when it would cash flow with a descent down payment.

I live on 40 acres in SE MN and I own a hunting property in Rusk County WI that is about 3 hours away. I've spent a lot of time planting trees, orchards, food plots, etc. on my Rusk County place, but it is really hard to make improvements being that far away. It is a nice getaway since it has a northwoods feel up there compared to the blufflands around home. But the deer hunting is better in SE MN by far and it is much easier to improve the habitat and food plots when you can just walk out your back door and start working whenever you have a few free minutes.

While the deer hunting isn't great in Rusk County, it can be decent and there is a lot of bonus hunting available (bear, waterfowl, grouse, rabbit/hare, etc.) with a ton of public land that is actually pretty good. It is nice to be able to have land in two states so you can fill multiple tags, so I would definitely recommend looking at land in another state if possible. But closer is better since a 3 hour commute to and from the hunting land can be a little much at times.
I'm in western WI and drive in SE MN (Houston) frequently for my job. Tons of deer coming out of the wooded bluffsides down into the fields in the river valleys this spring

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The cash flow farms are tough right now! You would have to put a lot down for many to cash flow. Rents are up, as are CRP rates.... however!

Even with interest rates going up I still see properties selling fairly quickly. They need to jack up interest rates way higher. I think the government created an environment where everyone with a mortgage with a good rate isn’t going to sell due to high rates that have to come if they want to upsize. I see this creating low inventory for a long time.

Wasn't the rapid increase in recreational land prices at least in part due to the market responding to low interest rates? I would think that as interest rates increase, while land prices continue to increase, the true market price for land will be realized sooner.

Personally, it sucks as a buyer trying to get into this market for the first time. Virtually no one in the industry sees prices going down unless there is some kind of black swan event. And in the meantime it's tough to find land below market value.

Wasn't the rapid increase in recreational land prices at least in part due to the market responding to low interest rates? I would think that as interest rates increase, while land prices continue to increase, the true market price for land will be realized sooner.

Personally, it sucks as a buyer trying to get into this market for the first time. Virtually no one in the industry sees prices going down unless there is some kind of black swan event. And in the meantime it's tough to find land below market value.
That, and urban areas turning into fiery war zones with no rule of law or right of self defense. It's gonna take some real carnage to get this sorted back out. If interest rates and inflation matter, it shouldn't take a whole lot longer. The EU is furthering their leap into the volcano by shutting off russian oil imports next week. That oughtta show Putin. The yield on the 10-year is also marching right along as well. The irony of all of this is that our undoing will be the moment the federal government and federal reserve stopped robbing us.

10-year treasury chart

1650400664575.png

If you have money available through equity or other options, then low rates are still available. I'm financing my new land purchase at 3.75%. I feel incredibly grateful for having those available to me because traditional land and second mortgage quotes are in the ballpark of 6.25 to 6.5% already. That's a shit load of buying power gone at those rates.