All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New laptop, suggestions

tooln

5 year old buck +
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Leaning towards a Lenovo. Anyone have any experience with them or have other suggestions.

My personal experience says stay away from Toshiba. Got one for my daughter and the HDD failed within the first 2 weeks, 5 weeks later and $50 for new disks and she could use it again. Just last night my neighbor brought his Toshiba over that he hadn't been able to use for 7 months(which he never mentioned to me before), and there is so much crapware and other items on that thing I can barely get it to run. I told him to take it back and get everything he wants to save off the HDD and then I will do a fresh install of Win 8(which I hate but it came on the machine) and then I will remove the crap he doesn't need. I can't speak personally to Lenovo, but they are the old IBM and ThinkPads were decent laptops, as long as they didn't "cheap 'em up" too much. Dell are ok and I personally run an Acer that I got on CL for $60 and installed a new HDD and it has run great ever since, no complaints. Whatever you get, get Windows 7 or 8.1, not 8, and plan on doing the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out in Sept.

I would wait til Windows 10 is out.

I am typing this on a Lenovo that I have had for about a year and a half. It's nothing fancy, but it is more than enough for me at a good price. Depending how hard you are on a machine, I would feel comfortable recommending Lenovo.

I USED to have lots of computer problems. No more. Three words solved the issues: Apple MacBook Air. If you don't have business applications that require windows.....Apple has the real deal, IMO.

I've used Lenovo's at work for the past 9 years, never had a problem. Make sure it has an SSD drive as the main system drive and buy as much memory as you can afford, that is where your money is well spent. low-mid end processor should be more than sufficient. I've been running Windows 10 technical preview since it came out, it's solid, basically same as Windows 8/8.1.

Thanks for the suggestions. My current is a Toshiba and I can't say it been bad to me. Not very fond of Dell any longer but at one time they were on of the top machines out there. I have Lenovo at work and were tough on them in the shop and they really hold up well. I'm thinking of a SSD or a hybrid with the SSD cache. More than likely will spend the extra $$$ for the SSD. I'm not much of a fruit person as all the software I use is PC based. I know nothing about windows 8 as I have 7 yet. I've heard some about 10 but not much. Not looking for something real soon but within the next year.

then I would wait for Windows 10 as it will have some of the same start features as Windows7

Given your not pressed for time I would wait as well tooln. If you are pressed into buying early due to failure, Microsoft has already announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade if you already own Windows 7 or 8/8.1 for a limited time after Win10 is released.

I bought the cheapest toshiba at Best Buy a year ago, $240. Win 8. It was a major upgrade over the XP laptop it replaced. I run some simple CAD and statistical software with no complaints. Great home machine that sits on my desk and rarely on the couch So it has had a gentle life. I am very happy with it as i was willing to make sacrifices on performance for that price but I don't think I have. I am tempted by the Surface Pro 3 except for the price.