New ideas for fencing?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Looking for any offbeat and cheap suggestions for fencing around some new trees going in next weekend. Was thinking of using a 10’x5’ Remesh sheet but they are not sold in my area and the 2”x4”x50’ fencing that I need is 100$ (I remember a couple years ago a 150’ roll of Remesh was $150!!) open to any and all suggestions thanks!

No home depot near you? The one by me has 5’x150’ rolls for 249.00. comes out to roughly 17.50 a cage if you go with 10’ lengths

No home depot near you? The one by me has 5’x150’ rolls for 249.00. comes out to roughly 17.50 a cage if you go with 10’ lengths
Yeah saw that only need 50’ to do 5 cages..trying to keep it under 100$ too

offbeat and cheap.... I recently saw pictures somewhere online where a Joker stood 3 pallets on their ends in the form of a triangle around recently planted trees. I'm assuming they screwed or wired the pallets together so they don't fall over.. Most businesses will give you at least a few pallets to get rid of them if you ask....and for FREE . I guess the only drawbacks are they are kind of heavy to lug around and would be an eye sore....BUT as long as they are on hunting property and not in your front yard it shouldn't matter.

Before we realized we needed tree cages (or found this forum), we tried using three t-posts and deer netting.

It worked for keeping deer and rabbits out of the trees, but it was a pain in the ass for keeping weeds out of and within the netting for a single tree. We ended up going the route of tree cages with remesh or welded wire, but may go back to the netting now that prices don't seem to be coming down.

For what it's worth, I'm definitely planning on using this approach for plant it and mostly forget american plum, hazelnut, and arrowwood viburnum thickets. I'll report back next year when we know how they do.

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_141837.jpg
    IMG_20180704_141837.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20180704_142551.jpg
    IMG_20180704_142551.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 56
Screw old pallets together

Tractory supple sell 100ft for 120. 2x4 4ft mesh. A few more bucks and you get double.

offbeat and cheap.... I recently saw pictures somewhere online where a Joker stood 3 pallets on their ends in the form of a triangle around recently planted trees. I'm assuming they screwed or wired the pallets together so they don't fall over.. Most businesses will give you at least a few pallets to get rid of them if you ask....and for FREE . I guess the only drawbacks are they are kind of heavy to lug around and would be an eye sore....BUT as long as they are on hunting property and not in your front yard it shouldn't matter.
Interesting idea..and it is in my backyard so I might have to pass..bummer though since I can get as many pallets as I want at work for free..I use them to keep my firewood off the ground

Tractory supple sell 100ft for 120. 2x4 4ft mesh. A few more bucks and you get double.
Up here it is like 170$ for that same amount!! And if I bought extra that would just show my wife I am planning to put in more trees at a later date..that may be no bueno!

this one is one sale for $115. I have the same exact stuff for my 1st 10 trees. I bought a huge lot of odds n ends pieces for $170 in january, but also found a 100ft roll of the same 4ft tall stuff I used before for $80 on craigslist in september. The oddball stuff is mostly 10-20ft 6ft tall ends, there some 5ft, some 4ft, bits of 3ft likely good for little pine plantings. They had some 1/4 mesh stuff good for vole gaurds too.

I put it philadelphia's zip and the price went down to $105 at jamison pa store. I know your not in philly, thought you werent too far from whitetail crabs.

I hear you on price. Spent alot of $$$$ on trees this year. Wanted another 10 or 15 at home and maybe another 6 at camp. ended with with about 20 4-5 foot ones, 45 rootstocks, and still have about 18 antonovka rootstocks I am moving and or grafting.... And I got some soon to be homeless wild plums that made room for apple trees too.

Last edited:
Before we realized we needed tree cages (or found this forum), we tried using three t-posts and deer netting.

It worked for keeping deer and rabbits out of the trees, but it was a pain in the ass for keeping weeds out of and within the netting for a single tree. We ended up going the route of tree cages with remesh or welded wire, but may go back to the netting now that prices don't seem to be coming down.

For what it's worth, I'm definitely planning on using this approach for plant it and mostly forget american plum, hazelnut, and arrowwood viburnum thickets. I'll report back next year when we know how they do.
I've done it like that also.... with 2 or 3 T posts but with Chicken wire. Obviously you'd have to wrap the chicken wire around at least twice to get the height you'll need, maybe even 3 times...depending on the size of the tree . I also zip tie the 2 or 3 levels of wire together . Then I would find a forked branch on one end and wedge it in one side of the chicken wire and connect it to the other side of the chicken wire with electrical tape...just to act like a brace-support so the flimsy chicken wire cant be pushed in as easy. I've used this method a few times on pear trees from Lowes in a pinch when I ran out of 5 ' wire and also around trees in tree tubes to protect the tops of the trees from browsing once they grow out the top of the tube. Good cheap solution that worked for me

Thanks for all the ideas fellas. I decided if I was gonna spend the money, I should at least get what I want and I got 50’ of 60” tall 2x4” fencing at a local hardware store. They even helped me load it (I had a bunch of other stuff that I bought for tree planting next weekend). Left the store for under $120 and all I have left to get is some window screen and some limestone screening (very small, sharp rocks that voles and mice do not like) and I am ready to roll. Thanks again for the help.

I use 2x4 fencing 4ft tall,75.00 per 100ft roll at Atwoods. If you need alittle taller just raise off the ground a foot and tie to post

I have seen snow fence used. It would also double to shade the sun as well.

Pallets. One screw in top of each corner. Easy to open up for weed control etc. plus they are free. The ones in this picture are now 4 years old.

Attachments

• BAF701E8-D090-45DE-8897-34AA41B4E735.jpeg
    BAF701E8-D090-45DE-8897-34AA41B4E735.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 37