New grafts care

Sorry to hear you got frost. I am slowly watching more of mine wither in the garage in rootrappers. I am over 20 lost now :mad:

Yea I woke up to frost this am as well. Not real happy about that, but dont think it caused any real damage. It couldnt have been much colder than 32 degrees and even that temp was short lived.

Sorry to hear you got frost. I am slowly watching more of mine wither in the garage in rootrappers. I am over 20 lost now :mad:

What do you attribute your losses to? I rarely have a scion die on me once the buds push some growth.

Disappointing stories. I got everything planted out now. With cool wet weather and no frost in forecast, I am hoping for better success % this year. I grafted later so they had time to heal and did not have to wait long to go outside.

I think it
Yea I woke up to frost this am as well. Not real happy about that, but dont think it caused any real damage. It couldnt have been much colder than 32 degrees and even that temp was short lived.

What do you attribute your losses to? I rarely have a scion die on me once the buds push some growth.
has to be root shock of some sort. Maybe the soil was too cold. Not sure but seems roots ar not pushing new growth so I am assuming root loss

great, more to worry about, sorry to hear of the losses, I am wondering if you have pulled any out of the soil yet to take a look at what is going on?

great, more to worry about, sorry to hear of the losses, I am wondering if you have pulled any out of the soil yet to take a look at what is going on?
No not yet because I want to be sure the roots are putting new growth so I can be sure it's a rootstock vs a scion issue. To further add to my woes I put some new grafted trees out to get some sun and the wind beat the crap out of them. May have lost 2 or 3 more lol. I have to laugh at this
Point

I will be interested to hear what you find is going on there.
I did most of my grafts 16 days ago, they have been sitting in the dark, cool corner of the basement since then, I brought them up to the main floor today and sat them in front of the window. I believe that a lot of them are showing signs of life, buds are swelling/opening, a couple have busted through the parafilm and a couple have leaves. What i want to ask, is am i doing this right? I am thinking of keeping them in front of the window for a week or 2 , and then move them outside and bring them in when it gets to cold overnight before planting them in my raised bed in June. At what point can i say i have some success? don't want to jinx it. This is what i am seeing so far. I know that if you cut a tree in the winter it will still leaf out in the spring, do scions do that if they haven't taken?DSCN0352.JPG DSCN0353.JPG DSCN0354.JPG DSCN0355.JPG DSCN0357.JPG

I have concluded that most if not all grafts died because the rootstocks died and therefore grafts didn't get nutrition. Now the reason the roots died can be because of soil being too cold causing shock and or there was something bad in the potting soil I used. That to me is the issue and I am leaning to shock since some grafts made it although some of my rootrappers had soil from last year so I a still not 100% sure but am 100% disappointed because I had some awesome varieties and some really good growth going on many grafts. I still have 8 in a 5 gallon paint bucket and I have decided to leave them in there until I plant them in final resting place later this month. Not a good grafting year :mad: Tinytim it looks like your grafts are doing great. Keep it going. Moderate temperatures are the key I believe and not going from extremes of warm to cold

Found this old thread on new graft care. I saw today I have a few insects eating on my newly grafted trees. I’m wondering about a light mixture of fruit tree spray on the newly grafted trees but I’m nervous about it. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this??

I use Bayer 3 in 1 or the Ortho 3 in 1 on my new grafts.

I use Bayer 3 in 1 or the Ortho 3 in 1 on my new grafts.
I might try something, it is really frustrating to see a new graft growing really well and then set back by insect damage!

I have not had any issues using the stuff. I do about 100-150 grafts each year and while mixing up a batch of spray would seem to make sense this is super convenient and dual purpose - I just grab the spray bottle and spray periodically.

I have used Carbaryl on my very young grafts with no ill effects.