All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New food plot- lime now?

PRK

5 year old buck +
With the lack of snow this year I was able to get a 1 1/2 acre food plot put in back in the woods yesterday. We had an inch of snow overnight. If I spread pellet lime now on top of the snow will give some results for next spring or am I just wasting money and should wait until spring?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 10
As long as you don't have low spots or runoff problems you shouldn't have an issue. Remember, the very best time to lime any ground was a year or 2 ago. The longer you wait the longer it takes to have an affect.

Thanks. No runoff problems here. I know the soil Ph and lime recommendations so I'll lay some down and retest in the spring.

Lime? Yes!

The old saying is "any time is a good time for lime"

On another thread I just posted how I did that very thing some years ago on a smaller plot just to see if it would work. I whipped it around w/ a plastic butter tub onto the snow. It was easy to see where I missed & needed to throw some pellet lime. Snow took it into the ground as it melted and I got some clover to grow in the spring. Not a big thick lush plot, but clover DID grow. As the other guys said, it's never a bad time for lime !!