New Computer and Printer

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
I finally got around to setting up the new computer and printer I got for Christmas. Started at about 9:00 this morning and 5 1/2 hours later every thing is transferred and working. I have 2 monitors which is sweet. It would have gone faster but I had 132 updates for Windows.

Yup those updates are what sucks up time. I am in the process of building a gaming PC at the moment. Everything I have, I have assembled for free so far, I am still in need of a few specialized cables and an operating system. Torn between just getting Windows 7 and then doing the free upgrade to Windows 10 this fall when it is released, or getting 8.1. I have 2 monitors at work and I love it, our department has budgeted funds to get 4 of us the necessary hardware to upgrade to 3 monitors, but the new ones will be 32" and wall mounted above the 2 that sit on the desk top, not sure how I will like that?

Yup those updates are what sucks up time. I am in the process of building a gaming PC at the moment. Everything I have, I have assembled for free so far, I am still in need of a few specialized cables and an operating system. Torn between just getting Windows 7 and then doing the free upgrade to Windows 10 this fall when it is released, or getting 8.1. I have 2 monitors at work and I love it, our department has budgeted funds to get 4 of us the necessary hardware to upgrade to 3 monitors, but the new ones will be 32" and wall mounted above the 2 that sit on the desk top, not sure how I will like that?

I went with Windows 7 .

That is my thought as well TT. If Windows 10 pans out, they will be giving free upgrades to certain Windows 7, 8 ,and 8.1 users, so I may upgrade at that time.

I hear Windows 10 is a lot better than 8. I'm still debating on getting a new laptop but having a hard time pulling the trigger.

10 is a blend of 7 and 8. Still some the eye catching tiling screens but also a traditional start menu like 7. As someone who fixes PC's for a career I find 8 to be all flash and no substance. All the new crap they added I dont need.

10 is a blend of 7 and 8. Still some the eye catching tiling screens but also a traditional start menu like 7. As someone who fixes PC's for a career I find 8 to be all flash and no substance. All the new crap they added I dont need.
I agree bco, Microsoft's feeble attempt at trying to force traditional PC users into using a phone/tablet interface to operate a full fledged computer was a bust and it bit them in the a$$. Hopefully Windows 10 will be to Windows 7 everything that Windows XP was to 98SE. That is probably wishful thinking, but one can hope.

That would work for me. I need a computer to function not to take silly pictures of myself and see what time it is in Tokyo. 10 should be better....but where did 9 go? I doubt I will ever see 8 in an office environment thats for sure.

No Windows 9, Microsoft admitted marketing ploy to break the "number" chain from when 8 went south???

I will throw in my shameless plug now as I am soon to be unemployed do to a major staff outsourcing at my company. Never hurts to try :)

Sucks bco, that is some $h!ttee news! Good luck in the upcoming search. Look into IT positions in the mining and gas industries, lots of automated stuff that needs good techs to keep them in working order.

I am at the company that all of you Wisconsin guys pay your electric bill too. Unfortunately went down with the ship. Currently applying for my current job with the new company taking over which is odd. Maybe I can train myself....

Last edited:
I have been running Windows 10 technical preview since the it was released. I like it, it's solid. Not much different than 7/8/8.1.