Need some Advice, New Deer / Pheasant Plot

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
Ok Guys I am planting a couple of big plots for the first time next year. I planted two small plots this year, but it was my first time trying it. They ware doing ok, but they were back in the timber so we tilled them up.

Next year I am planting into CRP, in iowa we can plant some much of our CRP fields, I am not sure how it is everywhere else.

I want to create a great summer plot for the deer and pheasants if that is possible. At least in two of the plots and the third one will be primarily for deer that will be turned into a hunt plot in the fall.

Where do I start. I have read everything on the throw and mow forums and my head is spinning. I think I want to try that method, because it means I do not have to find any big equipment and my atv and Buddies UTV can do all the work.

So my questions are

What should I plant in the Spring (if anything)? In the CRP it is healthy tall grass, but I could focus my plots on where it was mowed this year to keep things a little shorter. It has been in CRP for that last 20 years.

I will take some pictures this weekend of the areas if that will help. I just want to get started right and try to help the soil if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Get in there and spray your future site right now yet this year and get a soil test. That will help break the grasses down better and get you an idea of what your soil needs. You are gonna need a healthy dose chemical.. If it were mine I would spray the piss out of it, and then come back and mow it this fall yet.

As far as what to plant.... do the smorgisborg. Some clover in the shade. Some corn, some beans. If you want them stupid Chinese birds they seem to like giant ragweed. Maybe some sorghum, sunflowers then some rye and brassica in the fall.

Buck gave some good advice in his post above. To give you some ideas see the website in the link below...............no I don't have any affiliations with them at all other than I have sourced seed through them in the past and they are knowledgeable and friendly to work with.

http://www.kestersnursery.com/Pheasant Food.htm

http://www.kestersnursery.com/annual_seeds.htm