All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help, foggy and Mo, is this a good deal

Ogemaone

5 year old buck +
I can get a 2015 JD 3038E hydro trans, 4WD, with loader. It has R1 tires and a 6 foot box blade for $21,000. Delivery from Heritage Tractor in Missouri to me would cost between $250-500. $21,000 is out the door price, no tax.

Last year I priced out the same setup. I had gotten 3 different quotes. All came in just under 20k with loaded tires. Maybe I can find them and tell you the exact price.

Last year I priced out the same setup. I had gotten 3 different quotes. All came in just under 20k with loaded tires. Maybe I can find them and tell you the exact price.
That would be great!

Were the 14's final tier 4?

Sorry I couldn't find them. I also thought the 14's were the last of the tier 3's. Tier 4's have more emission controls.

Last edited:
My SIL bought a 3032 w/ loader and two pairs of remotes and block heater, etc? w/ box blade for $17,xxx. plus tax......but that was 3 years ago. Not sure what the tier 4 engines did to the prices.....but all seem higher these days. You don't say how many hours. If its that new.....it should have less than about 200 hours or so (?).

It's likely not a "bad" deal.....but, I don't think that is a "raving" buy. Maybe it would prove to be fair.....but I have not done any homework in this area. You can go to John Deere and price a new one via there website. That will get you MSRP. I suppose you can buy one for 10% less if you deal....maybe more.

The other thing is to look at Tractorhouse.com. They will have new ones priced out on there.....and likely a few low-hour used ones too. I'd want about 20% + discount from new......or, I'd buy new. That's me. My .02.

My SIL bought a 3032 w/ loader and two pairs of remotes and block heater, etc? w/ box blade for $17,xxx. plus tax......but that was 3 years ago. Not sure what the tier 4 engines did to the prices.....but all seem higher these days. You don't say how many hours. If its that new.....it should have less than about 200 hours or so (?).

It's likely not a "bad" deal.....but, I don't think that is a "raving" buy. Maybe it would prove to be fair.....but I have not done any homework in this area. You can go to John Deere and price a new one via there website. That will get you MSRP. I suppose you can buy one for 10% less if you deal....maybe more.

The other thing is to look at Tractorhouse.com. They will have new ones priced out on there.....and likely a few low-hour used ones too. I'd want about 20% + discount from new......or, I'd buy new. That's me. My .02.
It is brand new.

OK. Then go to tractorhouse.com and compare with the prices there. If it's new....it seems in order to me. But I am out of date on the new....expecially in light of the new tier engines. At one time I think I read that the new engines added about 3-4 k to the price.....so I suppose your number is "in order".

I'd spend some time on Tractoryhouse.com and tractorbynet.com and the John Deere site to see what new sells for. I wish I could help more. Im in a fog on the new.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6886869

Mutton John Deere sells tractors all over the US. They and a few other dealers offer discounted prices on popular stuff. They show the above ad for the 3038 tractor. I did not know they now offer a power reverser tranny on the 3038 model. I would want a hydro tranny.....and those would sell better if you ever want out.

IN LIMITED CHECKING.....it would seem like you have a good deal on a new tractor. If you KNOW you want that model and want a NEW tractor.... then it would seem to be a good deal to me.

Short story: (all us old duffers have short stories ;) ) I almost bought one of those (3038eHydro) when I could not find a "deal" on a new 3032. The dealer really pissed me off....as he just would not deal fairly with me....despite me buying three new tractors from him in the past and a used one too! (used 790, and new 318, 4300, and an old 110 many years ago). Then I decided to buy a good used tractor and went searching. Screw him. ;) I found my current 3320 eHydro with 200 hours on it. A real Cream Puff! It was a savings of more than 12k over new......and the tractor had all the goodies I wanted. I'm into good value.....so I'm happy with "like new" stuff.....at a discount. ;)

Being retired......I also have time to shop and go after a "deal". Not everyone has that ability.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6886869

Mutton John Deere sells tractors all over the US. They and a few other dealers offer discounted prices on popular stuff. They show the above ad for the 3038 tractor. I did not know they now offer a power reverser tranny on the 3038 model. I would want a hydro tranny.....and those would sell better if you ever want out.

IN LIMITED CHECKING.....it would seem like you have a good deal on a new tractor. If you KNOW you want that model and want a NEW tractor.... then it would seem to be a good deal to me.

Short story: (all us old duffers have short stories ;) ) I almost bought one of those (3038eHydro) when I could not find a "deal" on a new 3032. The dealer really pissed me off....as he just would not deal fairly with me....despite me buying three new tractors from him in the past and a used one too! (used 790, and new 318, 4300, and an old 110 many years ago). Then I decided to buy a good used tractor and went searching. Screw him. ;) I found my current 3320 eHydro with 200 hours on it. A real Cream Puff! It was a savings of more than 12k over new......and the tractor had all the goodies I wanted. I'm into good value.....so I'm happy with "like new" stuff.....at a discount. ;)

Being retired......I also have time to shop and go after a "deal". Not everyone has that ability.
Thanks Foggy

Og.....one piece of advice. Make sure you get the HYDRAULIC OPTIONS you need upon purchase of your tractor. It's the cheapest time to get these included or dealer installed. Lots of guys end up spending allot of coins for the remotes later....when it costs you more. Not sure of you needs - if any.......I get along fine with one set of remotes to run my grapple and help to run my stump grinder. Also the time to get any other goodies you may want / need.

Myself, I got the SCR Valve and remotes.....the hard lines kit to the front of the loader.....the block heater.....the deluxe grille guard.....bigger tires......and a few other things I cannot remember. (it was a used tractor with the right stuff for my needs).

Maybe you don't have a need now....but I would want one set of remotes. Lots of guys get along with a single set of remotes.....others don't need em. Just saying.

Last edited:
I go
I can get a 2015 JD 3038E hydro trans, 4WD, with loader. It has R1 tires and a 6 foot box blade for $21,000. Delivery from Heritage Tractor in Missouri to me would cost between $250-500. $21,000 is out the door price, no tax.

I got him down to $20,500 plus he will include wheel weights or put fluid in tires, whichever one I want. That price is with delivery to my land from Missouri. What do you think, deal?

I go

I got him down to $20,500 plus he will include wheel weights or put fluid in tires, whichever one I want. That price is with delivery to my land from Missouri. What do you think, deal?
At this point I'd think you know more about tractor prices for this model than Mo or I do. If the tax and delivery is included, I'd say it Is likely a fair deal. I'd take the cast weights. And mostly I'd want an extra hydraulic circuit - or two.

Did you buy it Ogemaone? Pics?

Not yet, still trying to decide if that's the model I want to go with. The reviews on the 3038 are iffy, seems they have quite a few problems with front seals. Has me a little gun shy. The closest Deere dealer is a hour and fifteen from me. Never thought it would be so hard to pick out a tractor.

OK. When I was faced with your dilemma......I decided to find a LIKE NEW, but used tractor......and bought my 3320 for less. More of everything.....except the price. I'd look for a 3320 or a 3520 with 2-400 hours......if it were my money. The super shine of a new tractor will wear off......and you will be left with more tractor.....for less money. (I also understand the 0% finance and feeling of new) Tractorhouse.com or Machinefinder.com are your friend. ;)

Then.....use your savings to buy good implements. They are what does the work anyway. :)

OH....and I think many of the JD compacts have some front seal issues every now and again. I had to replace one of mine too. 4WD comes at a cost.

Reactions: ATP
What other dealers are in your area? JD aren't the only ones who make good tractors.

Closest one to me is mahindra, maybe 25 minutes away. Everyone else is down near wausua.