Need a little structure

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Looking to add some artificial structure to my pond, thinking about making something similar to what's in the attached photo's (taken from the Pond Boss forum). Any other ideas or suggestions - Thanks!

Bucket structure.jpg 12_inch_structure_overview.jpg

I've seen people use old christmas trees.

I've seen people use old christmas trees.

Hey Scott44, Thanks for the suggestion - I tried one the year, but didn't get it out far enough so half is out of the water and dried up to nothing. I was thinking about placing one on the ice this winter with a concrete blocked tied to it. Thanks!

Some lake associations will build crappie cribs out of ironwood posts, threaded together with re bar. Then layer together spruce/pine branches/trees with pine boards to hold is all together. Loop cinder blocks through the bottom log to weigh it down and ensure contact on the bottom. It can be as exotic or simple as you want. I think the key is to just use good fasteners and weights to hold it together and hold it down.
crib.jpg

Some lake associations will build crappie cribs out of ironwood posts, threaded together with re bar. Then layer together spruce/pine branches/trees with pine boards to hold is all together. Loop cinder blocks through the bottom log to weigh it down and ensure contact on the bottom. It can be as exotic or simple as you want. I think the key is to just use good fasteners and weights to hold it together and hold it down.
View attachment 1580

I like the design and materials being used - I could build something similar, but smaller using Black locust - Thanks for the suggestion and photo...;)

I don't think I'd be throwing anything rubber or plastic into my pond. Many studies have been done on rubber and plastic leachates in water and all of them point to toxic compounds being given off as bacteria start to break down the rubber/plastic. Definitely use the log "fish cribs". The sportsman's club I was in years ago assembled and put many of them out on area lakes to help improve habitat. Panfish love them! If you make them in a triangular shape they use 1/4 less wood and are just as effective. For every 3 you make you have enough wood to make a fourth one. It worked great for us, as we had limited amounts of wood each winter to construct them and we wanted to put in as many structures as possible.

I have seen trees/bushes added - sink the stump end into a bucket of sack-crete with some boards added for stability so it stands up on the bottom. We have cut tree tops and pulled them on to the ice before or built brush piles and simply let them sink with the thaw. I have also seen pallets wired together to form different shapes as well. Also "stake beds" work well in shallow water to give bait fish a place to hide and reproduce also. As I understand it the more of the water column is used the better it will attract and hold fish. I would try to avoid using rubber and plastic if possible the more natural materials the better. Do an internet search you will find all sorts of "red-neck" ideas. Biggest thing is to locate these things based on visual landmarks -especially if you have a decent body of water. Nothing like putting all this work in and not being able to find it again! I have seen folks mark them with floating duck decoys before as well.

I don't think I'd be throwing anything rubber or plastic into my pond. Many studies have been done on rubber and plastic leachates in water and all of them point to toxic compounds being given off as bacteria start to break down the rubber/plastic. Definitely use the log "fish cribs". The sportsman's club I was in years ago assembled and put many of them out on area lakes to help improve habitat. Panfish love them! If you make them in a triangular shape they use 1/4 less wood and are just as effective. For every 3 you make you have enough wood to make a fourth one. It worked great for us, as we had limited amounts of wood each winter to construct them and we wanted to put in as many structures as possible.

Thanks for the reply wiscwhip! I appreciate the info on the plastic issues and I like your idea to use a triangular shape. I have been adding minnows over the last two years to develop a forage base. Will probably add Bluegills and Largemouth Bass next year.

I have seen trees/bushes added - sink the stump end into a bucket of sack-crete with some boards added for stability so it stands up on the bottom. We have cut tree tops and pulled them on to the ice before or built brush piles and simply let them sink with the thaw. I have also seen pallets wired together to form different shapes as well. Also "stake beds" work well in shallow water to give bait fish a place to hide and reproduce also. As I understand it the more of the water column is used the better it will attract and hold fish. I would try to avoid using rubber and plastic if possible the more natural materials the better. Do an internet search you will find all sorts of "red-neck" ideas. Biggest thing is to locate these things based on visual landmarks -especially if you have a decent body of water. Nothing like putting all this work in and not being able to find it again! I have seen folks mark them with floating duck decoys before as well.

Hey j-bird, Thanks for the info - My pond is not too big, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 acre and about 14 - 16 deep depending on time of year . Wasn't sure what a "stake bed" was , found some photo's - would like to add something similar to help the fathead minnows. Thanks...;)!

look up what sort of habitat is needed for your minnows to reproduce and make sure you provide it. Minnows will be a great forage source for your larger fish, but they can get depleted pretty quickly - The biggest thing you need to protect small fish is places for them to hide where the larger fish can not get to them. My folks have a small pond and the biggest issue they have is that they lack a lot of shallow water and thus anything that hatches out gets eaten pretty quickly. Also having trees and weeds are the pond will encourage bugs and the sort and provide additional food as well. A productive pond requires management as well - good luck and I hope all goes well. Great load of fun taking the kids to catch a bucket of gill's and they make a great meal as well.

would like to add something similar to help the fathead minnows. Thanks...;)!

Just something to consider - If the FM have had 2 years to reproduce without predation, the forage base should be more than adequate for the LMB until the BG are established. The FM will be eradicated shortly thereafter no matter how many "safe" places you create for them. You may get a greater return on your efforts if you focus on structure for the BG & LMB. It's hard to believe, but unless there is an upstream supply of FM entering the pond, they will all be gone in about 3 years following the introduction of LMB. Of course you should do what you want on your pond, but I think additional research will support this approach. Congratulations & good luck with the stocking!

look up what sort of habitat is needed for your minnows to reproduce and make sure you provide it. Minnows will be a great forage source for your larger fish, but they can get depleted pretty quickly - The biggest thing you need to protect small fish is places for them to hide where the larger fish can not get to them. My folks have a small pond and the biggest issue they have is that they lack a lot of shallow water and thus anything that hatches out gets eaten pretty quickly. Also having trees and weeds are the pond will encourage bugs and the sort and provide additional food as well. A productive pond requires management as well - good luck and I hope all goes well. Great load of fun taking the kids to catch a bucket of gill's and they make a great meal as well.

Thanks for the additional info j-bird..:cool:, One thing I have noticed with the minnows is that they like to dart in and out of the rip rap that is locate in two areas of the pond where water flows in during the spring and rain fall. I have been picking up additional rock & stone via the free section on Craigs list to add in the shallower area. Thanks!

Just something to consider - If the FM have had 2 years to reproduce without predation, the forage base should be more than adequate for the LMB until the BG are established. The FM will be eradicated shortly thereafter no matter how many "safe" places you create for them. You may get a greater return on your efforts if you focus on structure for the BG & LMB. It's hard to believe, but unless there is an upstream supply of FM entering the pond, they will all be gone in about 3 years following the introduction of LMB. Of course you should do what you want on your pond, but I think additional research will support this approach. Congratulations & good luck with the stocking!

Hello Kskid, I agree the minnows will not last long with LMB -I have no stream supply of minnow, only those that I added. I have not yet obtained the required permit to stock fish, but will probably do so over the winter or next spring. Its been fun feeding the minnows and see how they have been building in numbers this year. I'll do some additional research on structure for the BG & LMB. Thanks for the reply and info!...;)