Native tree and shrub planting info for N MN....

wiscwhip

5 year old buck +
Good read.

I'm not too sure about Bur oaks liking moist soil. I've always seen them doing their best in dry soil.

I'm not too sure about Bur oaks liking moist soil. I've always seen them doing their best in dry soil.
Much information I have read says that bur oaks are HIGHLY site specific. If you want them to grow in moist areas, get your acorns from ones already adapted to those conditions. I have seen them growing in a few areas where you would think it was too wet, but I have seen far more of them growing in drier conditions like you suggest, which lends me to believe that provenance of the selected acorns or seedlings is very important if you are wanting to plant them in moist conditions.

I have both. My place has swamp and high ground that is sandy. The high ground is dominated by bur and red oak while the swamp is dominated by poplar. I do have a few bur that are in a slight higher spot in the swamp. These area are definitely wet.

Do either of you have any swamp white oak in any of those lower areas?

I also do not. I have a heck of a time determining all the species I have though. I need to spend more time learning what all I have.

If they are "low" my bet would be Shuette's oak(swo/bur), higher and they are likely Bebb's(white/bur). Either one would be cool to have. Schneider's oak I would think would be rare unless you had some white's growing on lower ground than they normally otherwise would.

Edit: Then again, since neither of you have any swo's they are likely a white/bur(Bebb's) cross.

I personally haven't found and SWO. It's mainly whites and reds on my land. There are burrs around though, and I usually see them on higher soil.

They put in 2 giant burlap rootball SWO's, probably 4" DBH and 15'+ tall, 2 springs ago in the county park on the island in middle of the river where we walk. I am watching them to see what kind of acorn crop they have this year. One had acorns the first fall it was in the ground, the other had a bit of transplant shock and looked like it was going to die until this year, now it is covered with new growth and lots of leaves. I don't think it will produce this year, but I am waiting for a good crop from the other tree. This will be the third year since they have been transplanted.

They put in 2 giant burlap rootball SWO's, probably 4" DBH and 15'+ tall, 2 springs ago in the county park on the island in middle of the river where we walk. I am watching them to see what kind of acorn crop they have this year. One had acorns the first fall it was in the ground, the other had a bit of transplant shock and looked like it was going to die until this year, now it is covered with new growth and lots of leaves. I don't think it will produce this year, but I am waiting for a good crop from the other tree. This will be the third year since they have been transplanted.
Check if they happen to have solid crops every year. To me, other than diversity of what I plant, the consistency in drop would be the biggest thing to look for.

I am supposed to be at the edge of the white oak range, but cannot say that I have ever seen a white oak.

I have 4 or 5 swo in the ground that I started from acorns. Two seem to be doing OK after this winter. for two, the tubes damaged the trees over winter, maybe deer were involved in pulling on the tubes.

MNAaron and I saw a number of white oaks at foggy's land tour last winter. I believe Aaron stated he had a good number of whites on his property as well.
They are supposed to range into Crow Wing County. I need someone to point them out for me.

This'll be a fun topic at my land tour next month. I have bur's that don't look right and they're on moist soils.

Cool link, perfect fit for this thread.