Name these 2.

Heymirth

Yearling... With promise
I don’t know what these are. Probably common. Pic with thumb and the 2 others.
Lots of thorns but different color outer skin.

Attachments

• AC170E66-F59C-47E1-9C09-860BF853B689.jpeg
    AC170E66-F59C-47E1-9C09-860BF853B689.jpeg
    857.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 45BA16EB-4F6D-4219-A0D6-9ACF381488F2.jpeg
    45BA16EB-4F6D-4219-A0D6-9ACF381488F2.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 19256A06-5B25-4E51-AA0F-AF41B5A0873C.jpeg
    19256A06-5B25-4E51-AA0F-AF41B5A0873C.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 88
Looks like a rose.

I agree^^^ looks like wild rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multi flora rose

That is Multiflora rose for sure. Depending on where it’s located it creates good cover. Deer do browse it but it’s also considered an invasive. I don’t bother with it too much I have worse problems than MFR.

That is Multiflora rose for sure. Depending on where it’s located it creates good cover. Deer do browse it but it’s also considered an invasive. I don’t bother with it too much I have worse problems than MFR.
Both of these are MFR?
They look different as in the bark or outer shell and the leaves.

Both of these are MFR?
They look different as in the bark or outer shell and the leaves.
3rd picture is hard to tell but to me it looks like an older MFR. I’ve noticed on a lot of my mature MFR bushes some of the original stems get a brown tone.

^^^^^ X-2. Oh yeah - KILL that stuff !!!! Those thorns will rip you to shreds if you get near it. I'd suggest you wear canvas outerwear when you work around it & heavy leather gloves too. I've shed blood on several occasions trying to work around it at camp. PITA !!!

Here in NY they call it Wetland Rose, I call it the swear shrub. Deer actually eat this stuff though so it is not a useless thing and rabbits love it. It grows a hip as opposed to a berry that holds until mid winter so its good for songbirds and grouse too bud.

MFR is an acronym for multi flora rose.

I call it M-F’in rose :emoji_grin:
look at thorn, it’s curved back. Makes it not painful to reach in, but when you back out...M-F

I pretty much ignore it in a wooded setting. Eventually it will be shaded out. In a field setting it can overtake things.

MFR changes, if you will, as it matures and grows in size. The main stems will be green with the smaller stems being more of a dark red color. As the plant matures and the stems turn into more like a woody stalk. It tends to be one of the first things to green up (around here it's MFR, Jap bush honey suckle and buckeye - all pretty worthless from a habitat perspective in my opinion). It likes damp soil but will grow anywhere and loves sunlight. So you will mostly find it in successional growth areas or on the edges of dense woods or anywhere there is ample light in the woods. The deer will eat the softer new growth but that is it and the deer typically will NOT keep it in check. I use a brush clearing saw to cut them off and reset them. They have a large root system so spraying mature plants can require a few tries as well. Normally spraying...unless you cover the ENTIRE plant....just seems to piss it off! Some of these I have seem will be taller than a person have a ball of stems so big you can't reach around and a spread of 8 feet in diameter or more. Can be decent cover habitat for birds and rabbits but still require spacing and monitoring.