My JD 71 Planter Experience

Nice job on the planter Foggy. I bet you didn't mind too much you were missing a few parts as it gave you the satisfaction of wrenching on it. I spent some time replacing some bad hub actuators on my truck only to find out I had bad bearings on my driver side. Now I get to work on that. It isn't always fun but you sure do learn a lot by tearing into stuff.

What is a little frustrating is that without a manual.....you just don't know what to look for....or what your looking at. Especially if the parts are missing.....then it makes it doubly hard to know if you have the right manual or if some other means was used to provide the function, etc?? I had to print a Yetter manual....as the JD manuals are out of print and used ones cost quite a bit. I've read glowing reports about the folks at Lincoln Ag.....but those folks absolutely sent me bogus plates and warped ones on top of it. (!)

I think many of us have been down this path with used machinery. Sometimes along the way..... it feels like a pig in a poke. ;) (whatever that means?)

All is well that ends well. After getting it working properly and using it a bit......I can see why this is a popular planter. Still....broadcasting seeds is easy. ;)

Foggy, if you ever need any info on your planter, I have a dealer shop manual for my 71. The guy I bought mine from was a retired JD guy and had tons of JD stuff and gave me the dealer manual.
I just washed and greased my 71 yesterday and put it away for the year...it's ready to go for next year:cool:

^ Thanks B.D. I've learned that one of the handiest ways to clean up seeders and planters is a shop vac....Easy way to get the seeds outta the hopper. Then an air hose and my bench brush is great for cleaning.....follwed by the oil and grease.

A follow-up on my planter experience.

The beans germinated very well and all my plots look similar in growth. I planted 10 plots with soybeans......about 3.5 acres or so. Some I planted at narrow 15" rows (double pass) and some are 30" rows........somewhat depending on the quality of the dirt and sunlight I have. .......and I had worried I may run out of seed. Turns out I was just about perfect on my seed rates....so I have a little seed left over. I may use that later in the season.

All of my beans are about 1-2" tall now. We need a rain......and they should take off. Some weeds are starting to come too. In the past I used Gly at about 1 Qt / acre (12 gallons of water).

Curious what others do on spraying weeds. At what bean height should I spray my Glysphosate (41%) and what rate do you guys put down? What say you?
beans n weeds.JPG

I spray quart and a half with 25-30 gallons of water. With your sandy soil I would wait to spray, let the weeds blanket your soil(just my opinion). I prefer the closer rows unless you plan on overseeding with something else later.

1 qt per acre of gly. 1 qt of Powerhouse per acre.
Dead weeds.

Beans look good Tom!

With Roundup at less than $14 a gallon, does not matter if you spray a quart or 2 quarts, you ain't out much either way for a food plot.

1 qt per acre of gly. 1 qt of Powerhouse per acre.
Dead weeds.

That is Exactly what I use. I think AMS helps allot with the uptake of GLY.

That is Exactly what I use. I think AMS helps allot with the uptake of GLY.
I started using AMS in my roundup applications last year and I've been 100% successful with those applications, including one this spring that was close to being under the ideal temps for spraying. Not sure if that's the ticket or not, but why change socks if I'm winning right? I was using a 2 gallon sprayer. I'd mix up a 16oz bottle of water with as much AMS as I could dilute in it and add to the tank.

Try some Powerhouse SD..... My kill went up exponentially last year using that....

Where do you find it? I've been googling and can't seem to come up with it. I'm trying to wrap my head around activator adjuvents the past ten minutes.

I got it from Henning Pro Ag last year.

I'll have to try the co op down here. I got to run over there in the next couple weeks to pick up a bucket of phosphorus and a couple buckets of AMS anyway.

I spray quart and a half with 25-30 gallons of water. With your sandy soil I would wait to spray, let the weeds blanket your soil(just my opinion). I prefer the closer rows unless you plan on overseeding with something else later.

I've heard or read that you should wait till your beans are about 4" high before spraying. I suppose another few days will make that a reality. Not sure what "ams" is. Is that crop oil?

Ammonian Sulfate

My beans were maybe 2" last weekend. Weeds were starting up in full force.... I nuked it all. If I waited any longer, I wouldnt have been able to see my rows.

I plant corn and beans every year a few days prior to the MN fishing opener when I take vacation and spray it all 4 to 5 weeks later. I dont care how tall it is. I just git 'r done and never had a problem.

I've heard or read that you should wait till your beans are about 4" high before spraying. I suppose another few days will make that a reality. Not sure what "ams" is. Is that crop oil?
I wonder if you can get it at the feed store in Pine River. Common at our creameries/feed stores down here. Buckman or Little Rock

Tom, you will most likely need to spray your beans twice over the season to keep a clean slate. Waiting a little longer before the first spray allows more weeds to emerge and get killed. I sprayed last weekend and could hardly see my rows. This year was particularly bad but I did till deep this year. Next year I will keep my tilling shallow.

There are two granular AMS products, you want the crystal type that dissolves in water. Powerhouse is a liquid version that includes AMS and is easier to use.

I use activator 90- non ionic surfactant, and choice- ams replacement. Fill tank 1/2 full of water, Adding these 2 and agitate before adding glypho. top off tank. 26 gallon sprayer, 1 quart of choice, 1 pint of activator 90, 80 oz of glypho for 2 acres. I use a teejet double swivel nozzle, 2 oc-08 teejet tips each one @ 6mph puts out 6 gallons/acre. Do it right, or chemical and time is wasted, from much experience.

80oz..... how many quarts is that. I do terrible in conversions.