My hobby orchard

Corey Peterson

5 year old buck +
First off I'd like to thank everybody that has been posting on this forum there is a ton of good information on here. I figured I'd post a couple pictures of what I've been up to this spring / summer. I planted around 30 trees mostly grafted root stock but also a few 4-5' trees from the county conservation fund raiser. Biggest issue I've had is the amount of rock in the ground I guess they call NH the granite state for a reason! I ended up having to haul in some loam to get enough top soil but everything is coming along pretty well thus far.

Attachments

• orchard.JPG
    orchard.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Rocky ground.JPG
    Rocky ground.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 36
I left the grafts too high (about 8-10") my M7 root stock not sure how much it will hurt in zone 5? I removed the trees from the tubes this after a couple started showing signs of apple scab.

Attachments

• M7.JPG
    M7.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 20
Graft on G222 rootstock

Attachments

• G222.JPG
    G222.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 13
Looks like you have a good start on what can be an addicting hobby. Here in the Allegheny mountains of Pa I often end up with more rocks than dirt when I dig a planting hole:( .

Nice Corey! On this one I'd try to pull the bend out of that middle. I use plastic flagging tape. Maybe a couple actions tied onto that stake to pull it more straight.

The other thing you might try would be to dig it up and replant it lower. I'm not sure whether to do it now or when dormant though.
I might re-graft the trees on M7 rootstock in the spring or maybe T-Bud them in another couple weeks. From what I've read it looks like M7 is only good to -10 in open air (above snow cover) we don't get below zero too often down here but I'd hate to loose trees down the road. I have to straightened a couple trees out thanks for the advice with the flagging tape it works well.

Corey,

A nice orchard you might want to check out is Hackleboro orchard in Canterbury. I've only been there once but, seemed like a great orchard. Over 30 acres of apples. You might be able to get scions from them.

http://www.hackleboroorchards.com

30 acres!?!?! That's SOOOOO many apples.

I went over there for the first time last year it is a nice orchard. I guess he has a porcupine problem! 60 sure is a bunch.

couple of better pictures of my orchard setup. Still have to put screen around the base of the trees before winter, and I'm trying to decide how I want to fence it off. When do you guys paint the trunks of your trees (spring summer fall)? I'll probably put the new grafts back in the tree tubes before winter.

I planted some white oak that I started from seed in tree tubes but only about 15 and it was pretty late (July) - I ran out of time this spring working on the orchard, but I have another 85 tree tubes so I plan on getting some in the ground next spring. Haven't tried chestnuts - do you order them bare root? I was also thinking about trying some american persimmon, but I'm in zone 5B so I might be too far north. Plus I might have to order some B118 and graft apple trees for some of my food plots.