my grandpa's farm and gun auction

Please let me know what the Model 12's and 42's bring.
Will do Art. I wouldn't be surprised to see those 42's go for a pretty penny. I tried to get him to let me sell them on gunbroker but he thought it would be too much trouble. I'm sure I could get good money for them there.

I have seen more guns bring double what they are worth at farm auctions. He should do well!

When my neighbor had her late husbands farm auction, he had a lever action 410 shot gun on the auction. I have never seen one before, and I have seen a lot of guns. That 410 brought over $900, I know because a chased it to $900. The guy that bought that 410, was a 410 collector and said he would have gave what ever it took to get that gun, not me!
I know there's a winchester .410 lever action that's pretty rare. I bet it was one of those. There's one model 42 .410 that has a solid rib on it that I bet goes for $2000+ in the auction.

^ Good luck at the auction....nice stuff......I wish I could go.

That Winchester 54 could fetch are good price from the right buyer. I have a 54 in .30-30, and my dad has one in .30-06. He snapped up a set of them at an auction many years ago, he has since sold some of them off for solid ROI's. The 54 in .30-30 that I have was my grandfather'so first deer rifle, my dad's first deer rifle, my first deer rifle, and it will be my son's first deer rifle.

The 54 in .30-30 that I have was my grandfather'so first deer rifle, my dad's first deer rifle, my first deer rifle, and it will be my son's first deer rifle.
That's what it's all about right there!!! It's one thing to collect guns, it's another thing when they are a piece of family hunting heritage - regardless of what they look like!

That's what it's all about right there!!! It's one thing to collect guns, it's another thing when they are a piece of family hunting heritage - regardless of what they look like!
I wish that rifle could talk.....i'm sure there are some great stories it could tell. I would be just as interested in hearing the stories of the "boring" hunts, as the epic ones. One thing is for sure...that rifle has always been used...its not one that gets put up in the safe and never touched.

28 guage model 12 went for $6200.00. All the .410's went for around $2000.00 a piece. The rifle I was interested in went for $2000.00 and I didn't get it. My grandpa bid back the 12 guage model 12's since they weren't bringing enough in his mind. The boat went for $4800.00. All in all my grandpa did pretty good and was as happy for him as could be.

wow, he did really good, I cant beleive the .410 went that high

Yeah, those old winchesters bring some good money. There wasn't a whole lot made and demand is just going up.

He had some nice guns.....and those obviously bring a premium. Congrats on some of those prices. :eek:

My guess would be that it has a broader range of applications vs the .410. Myself however, I'm a fan of the .410 cartridge, and it's my preference for a home defense round. When I was trying to condense the number of ammo types I shoot, .410 made the cut because it can be interchanged with .45LC in a Judge.

I think there's also quite a few guys that like to use them for grouse in mn. Quick, light, easy on the shoulder, and easily carried.

I've always been told\read the .410 is not a child's gun, it's an experts gun.

.410 is a great gun for small game in my area. I bought my son his first gun and it was a single shot (with interchange barrel) .410/.22LR - great gun to get kids in the woods and for those that prefer a challenge. Single shot - so one and done - so you better make the first shot count as well. Last thing I wanted was Jr. hitting his target and getting excited and swinging a loaded gun around!!! My grandfather loved using his for squirrels. My son killed his first deer with a .410 slug - the only thing is it lacked enough power to go entirely thru the deer so tracking with only an entry hole was tougher. The slug lodged just under the hide on the opposite side however. And yes a .410 slug is legal in IN. I kept him to essentially archery distances and it did the job however.

.410 is a great gun for small game in my area. I bought my son his first gun and it was a single shot (with interchange barrel) .410/.22LR - great gun to get kids in the woods and for those that prefer a challenge. Single shot - so one and done - so you better make the first shot count as well. Last thing I wanted was Jr. hitting his target and getting excited and swinging a loaded gun around!!! My grandfather loved using his for squirrels. My son killed his first deer with a .410 slug - the only thing is it lacked enough power to go entirely thru the deer so tracking with only an entry hole was tougher. The slug lodged just under the hide on the opposite side however. And yes a .410 slug is legal in IN. I kept him to essentially archery distances and it did the job however.

How far did you need to track that deer ?

How far did you need to track that deer ?
It went about a 100 yards or so. It left a pretty poor blood trail. A small and higher entrance wound (due to the downward angle of the shot from an elevated position) and no exit wound didn't leave me much to track. It was a good lung shot which is about as good as you can ask for with a rookie hunter. The lack of that lower exit wound however kept the blood from coming out of the body cavity which made tracking difficult - especially early on. I found it and I was a nervous wreck the entire time. It was only a yearling doe so it wasn't a big deer either - but it was a giant as far as he was concerned. All ended well. Since then I refuse to allow him to hunt deer with a .410 - he now uses my muzzleloader with a .45 sabot and 100gr of powder - it does a much better job! I am trying to get my daughter deer hunting this year, but she is afraid of the muzzleloader and my wife brought up the .410 and I firmly put that to bed as not being an option. I would rather her use a proficient weapon and have to wait a year to hunt herself than use an under-powered weapon and have it lead to a negative experience.

Chuck Hawks claims the .410 slugs should be limited to 25 lb critters. Alabama deer? ;)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/410bore.htm

^ Good article on .410