my grandpa's farm and gun auction

wklman

5 year old buck +
Hey Minnesota guys my grandpa is selling out his gun collection and farm equipment. Lots of old winchesters,farm eq,old tools, boat, etc. It's up in Wadena and has a lot of neat stuff on it. I thought maybe a few of you might be interested in some of the things he's selling.
Here is the link to the auction.
http://www.midwestauctions.com/norms/_private/index.html

Grandpa got himself a real collection there.

Yeah, some of those guns haven't seen a round in them for 30+years. He took perfect care of his collection and never shot hardly a one of them.

Looks like he really liked his .410's

hmmmm I have always had a soft side for .410

Nice collection. He has good taste.

He loves the model 42 .410's and pre-64 model 70's. That 28 Guage model 12 ought to go good as well. It's a rare and sought after bore. There's a model 70 .243 that I'm going to bid on that I'm pretty sure hasn't been shot and is in almost new condition.

Couple of decent magnum wheelgun's in there as well!;):D

No guns handed down to any family? Ouch.

No guns handed down to any family? Ouch.
I was thinking the same thing. Or at least offered for a fair price.

Grandpa gave the immediate family (sons and daughters)the opportunity for the guns they wanted. The rest of the family(grandkids, great grandkids,cousins, aunts, uncles etc) he told us if we want something we have to bid on it. That way there's no fighting over stuff.

That's a perfect way to do it Wade my wife's grandparents did the same thing, no bickering. If you want something they badly hand over the cash or no whining

Not to mention that if you give things of monetary value away within 5 (or is it 7?) years of needing it to pay for your needs....those you gave it to have to give it back so it can be sold to pay for your expenses :rolleyes:

^ Not 100% sure on the gifting.....but I think it's a three-year "lookback". Probably not a good idea to gift your family after your 90. ;) .....if you don't have the assets to cover the "home" expenses. Tax folks must be pretty nasty.....they seem to be able to extract the money......maybe better than MO at it. ;)

Best thing I ever did was let my grandfather know I had interest in only a single gun of his. I isn't valuable, just means something to both he and I on a personal level. When he passed there was no question where it would go. Later it was all but destroyed in a fire - it was like I had lost him all over again. It was simply a twisted and mangled piece of metal. I couldn't bring myself to toss it out even though it was destroyed. I approached someone I know that worked on guns and he performed what I didn't think was even remotely possible. I wish I had a picture of if after the fire, but I don't. It a Steven's model 22/410 over-and-under, break action, single shot. It isn't functional anymore (we ground down the firing pin to ensure it would never be used again, but other than that it works) but I have something tangible to put my hands on. I killed my first squirrel with this gun and was the first "real" gun I ever shot. It was his "go to" squirrel gun as well. The pic is AFTER the fire when I got it back from being salvaged (that doesn't do it justice what was done). Essentially I gave the guy the receiver and the barrels where connected to the receiver but had separated from each other and had curled like you had tried to pull them apart! This is one of my prized possessions - worthless to everyone else, priceless to me.

overandunder.jpg

I have seen more guns bring double what they are worth at farm auctions. He should do well!

When my neighbor had her late husbands farm auction, he had a lever action 410 shot gun on the auction. I have never seen one before, and I have seen a lot of guns. That 410 brought over $900, I know because a chased it to $900. The guy that bought that 410, was a 410 collector and said he would have gave what ever it took to get that gun, not me!

Please let me know what the Model 12's and 42's bring.

Wow. If it wasn't the Kansas youth season that weekend, I would probably go. I hope my ex wife can make it. I told her to bid on the boat for me. She is from Verndale.

Best thing I ever did was let my grandfather know I had interest in only a single gun of his. I isn't valuable, just means something to both he and I on a personal level. When he passed there was no question where it would go. Later it was all but destroyed in a fire - it was like I had lost him all over again. It was simply a twisted and mangled piece of metal. I couldn't bring myself to toss it out even though it was destroyed. I approached someone I know that worked on guns and he performed what I didn't think was even remotely possible. I wish I had a picture of if after the fire, but I don't. It a Steven's model 22/410 over-and-under, break action, single shot. It isn't functional anymore (we ground down the firing pin to ensure it would never be used again, but other than that it works) but I have something tangible to put my hands on. I killed my first squirrel with this gun and was the first "real" gun I ever shot. It was his "go to" squirrel gun as well. The pic is AFTER the fire when I got it back from being salvaged (that doesn't do it justice what was done). Essentially I gave the guy the receiver and the barrels where connected to the receiver but had separated from each other and had curled like you had tried to pull them apart! This is one of my prized possessions - worthless to everyone else, priceless to me.

View attachment 6353
thats great that you still have the ability to pick that gun up and hold it! I have two hand me down Savage model 24's...essentially the same firearm as what you have there. One is a .222 over 20 ga that was my father's God father's. The other is a .22mag over 20 ga that was my father's God mother's husband's. they are special guns....and fun to shoot as well.

Wow. If it wasn't the Kansas youth season that weekend, I would probably go. I hope my ex wife can make it. I told her to bid on the boat for me. She is from Verndale.
That boat is in great condition. I think my grandpa only used it like 3 times in all the years he owned it.