my first graft

What do you guys do with a graft where the scion pushed out some decent growth after grafting. But now looks to be dying? Regaft it? Or cut it off and let it go for next year

Some version of that. If you have good scionwood, you could regraft now. I don't have any left so I would let it go for now. Let the rootstock grow and t-bud it in late summer. Or graft it once the rootstock leafs out next spring.

The bad one looks like this. This rootstock never had any thing trying to sprout on it. Does that mean it was bad
20160519_064559.jpg

20160519_064609.jpg 20160519_064612.jpg And 2 of my pears r starting to look like this

Last edited:
If the root stock fails to push a few leaves the root stock is likely not very healthy/active. I have realized that every failed graft that I have necropsied this spring has been the result of a root stock that has shown no root growth or very, very little root growth. I would leave it and see if the root stock eventually sends out a bud. If so you can regraft it at some point.

I have pears that show all those symptoms each spring. Most times the grow out of it. Generally it is environmental stress (heat, wind, both). Make sure your not over or under watering.

Thanks. I just moved from 5 gallon buckets to nursery. I was hoping it was just a little stress

This is the second year that my pear grafts have gone bad on me. Grafted 6 this spring, all pushed out some growth but now all look to be dying. Potted up 4 other pear rootstocks and will let them grow for a year before I try grafting to them to see if that makes a difference.

Guys I am pretty sure that I shocked my roots with temperature as I brought my roots from the house to outside in much colder soil in my rootrappers. I think that was the death sentence and. Ow have lost 90 % of my grafts. Hard lesson as I was having the best success in 3 years of grafting. Oh well. So be sure your soil and the roots are close in temperature when planting or transferring to new pot

All of my grafts have been outside for the last 3 weeks in a 5 gallon bucket getting sun every day. They r only getting an extra hour or so of sun now

Do I need to do any upkeep. Or care for my graft? Should I add more tape or wax over the union to help protect it?

Do you guys add any fertilizer on your 1st year grafts. I have them in a mix of potting soil top soil. And mushroom compost

Do you guys add any fertilizer on your 1st year grafts. I have them in a mix of potting soil top soil. And mushroom compost
Mine are in a mix of 50 50 composted cow manure / top soil with some lime added. I think the composted manure will be plenty of fertilizer. I think chemical fertilizers can burn young trees so I've never tried it.

Nice job! Just a note on your pears you can cut back farther into the root stock if you graft any again. That way you can avoid that dog leg.

Great job Jerred

Thanks

got to go back home a week ago and check out some of my fruit trees I planted in spring of 14 a couple red delicious apple trees I got from lowes for 5 bucksappl.jpeg red.jpeg red.jpeg

and a couple keiffer pears

k.jpeg kkef.jpeg

and a dolgo crab
del.jpeg