My Central Ky Habitat Addiction

Following your FB page.... Good work!

Love the color and the cover! Looking good!!

Looks awesome....well done! Sounds like you have some fantastic plans for the future with it.

Well Photobucket killed most of my thread and I took a promotion at work which took most of my time and I have been out of the habitat cycle for a little while. Finally got back in the groove of things though and planted another 5500 trees yesterday on 9 acres of crop bottom

Planted a couple hundred black oak and northern red oak, 1500 White Oak, 2000 walnut, some more persimmon, Mulberry, white dogwood, and red Ozier dogwood

The trees were magnificent, they averaged 3 feet tall and many were five or 6 feet tall !!!

It’s been a pretty cool spring, had a local newspaper come out and do an interview for a young farmer publication they were doing, Tuesday I received the conservation cooperator of the year from our local extension agency at their conservation banquet, and Friday I was contacted by a local business in the county which is the largest honeybee supply manufacture in the world and asked me to come out and do a presentation on tree farming FBB7F5AE-76FC-4C69-90D9-F8285EF91975.jpeg466270D7-FC8C-4CAC-B369-7F67FEA13758.jpeg0058C429-A024-47C6-9E6C-FF6A8E96A966.jpeg9FE159CF-A771-485F-91C3-AA37C05D660E.jpeg

Attachments

• B13B6782-5658-4AB4-8F05-8F108369FC94.jpeg
    B13B6782-5658-4AB4-8F05-8F108369FC94.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 13
  • CF6A4A4F-4B3A-4E44-BBA1-078DF21E9B3F.jpeg
    CF6A4A4F-4B3A-4E44-BBA1-078DF21E9B3F.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Additionally here is a little bit from deer season. I did not get my target buck but my son managed to tag a humongous doe, Largest one I have ever seen
5749EA29-CE4E-43F2-932F-BEC21DEB70BB.jpeg

And here are a few more that were taken by friends and family

37638621-5301-4497-B1EE-0EAB6C747351.jpegA7D8518E-E5D9-4E9E-B40E-D2C6918DD4A7.jpegEBEFDC9B-6044-4888-A39C-8CFFB5E89E2D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm proud of you Lance. Keep up the good work.

That's some serious tree planting. You're leaving a legacy.

Thanks Steve, means a lot coming from you. Always had a ton of respect for you & your opinions.

I've actually been working in trees a lot myself this spring - going through where we planted years ago and cutting down volunteer sweet gums that have come up and competing with oaks. I've also also set a few apples, pears and two grafted persimmons this spring. I have 5 more trees ordered from Northern Whitetail Crabs and have the cages already prepared for those.

All those trees you are planting will grow much faster than you think. I've come upon some oaks in my planting that look to be over 30 feet tall. I really love working in the trees.

I've actually been working in trees a lot myself this spring - going through where we planted years ago and cutting down volunteer sweet gums that have come up and competing with oaks. I've also also set a few apples, pears and two grafted persimmons this spring. I have 5 more trees ordered from Northern Whitetail Crabs and have the cages already prepared for those.

All those trees you are planting will grow much faster than you think. I've come upon some oaks in my planting that look to be over 30 feet tall. I really love working in the trees.

I’m pretty excited about the future. My brother is half owner in our farm as I have previously mentioned. He was not really into letting my plant this crop ground into trees so it took some convincing. I basically laid out my dream to create a property that our children can not buy anywhere!! True once-in-a-lifetime type property that I want to create for our family. I Basically agreed to cover any lost rental income until our farm is paid off and just dropped almost $6000 on this planting !!! Although I will get some reimbursement through the USDA because it was a CP 22 program these projects are truly a long time dream of mine and a passion I hope to share with my children.

As you mentioned though, lots of work to come in order to fulfill the goals I have . I’ve already got a ton of young beach trees coming up in my two-year-old plantations that are starting to out compete young seedlings. I am beyond excited to see what these trees look like this year, they are going to be beautiful !!!

I read the post from the 1st post on and it was interesting to read all of what you've done (darn Photobucket!). I'm in North Central Kentucky and doing my first batch of tree plantings this Spring, pond improvements, and TSI. I put some pears in while waiting for some chestnuts and persimmons. I was sweating just thinking about 5,000 trees haha! I'd love to hear some more about it all your work hunts with the kids. I'll check out your Facebook group!

I read the post from the 1st post on and it was interesting to read all of what you've done (darn Photobucket!). I'm in North Central Kentucky and doing my first batch of tree plantings this Spring, pond improvements, and TSI. I put some pears in while waiting for some chestnuts and persimmons. I was sweating just thinking about 5,000 trees haha! I'd love to hear some more about it all your work hunts with the kids. I'll check out your Facebook group!
Where are you located at?

Awesome tree project this spring and looks like you all had a fantastic hunting season.
Congrats on the promotion too!