Multiple sprayings for resistant weeds?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I have some horseweed or marestail started in my plots and pastures. Burndown with gly got most of it but about 20% of them woke back up and are doing fine now.

They are past the rosette stage and bolting. I want them dead before setting seed. I know spraying once won't kill them, but what if I sprayed once a week for a while? Will it eventually be to much for them? What about alternating between gly and 24d each week?

I found lots of info online about control but nothing mentioned multiple regular sprayings, I'm assuming because it would be cost prohibitive for a farmer to do. I think I may only plant wheat this winters so that I can spray rosettes with 24d and not have to worry about plotted broadleafs. Even with this plan I don't want an extra crop of seeds this yr.

Innerline is that liberty product that kills everything

Horseweed/Marestail is on the glyphosate kill list. I would hit it one more time with a 2 oz per gallon mix and reevaluate in 2 weeks.

you may want to consider chopping it off a few days before you hit it with spray and get it when the plant is actively growing.

Once marestail is more than rosette it is 99% gly resistant along with pigweed.I can curl it with 24D but not always kill

Gly is what I used before. I'm using 24d now. I was hoping that multiple sprayings while curled might to the trick.
I'll check that website Buckdeer1. Can you get that locally?

over here at COOP

I have some horseweed or marestail started in my plots and pastures. Burndown with gly got most of it but about 20% of them woke back up and are doing fine now.

They are past the rosette stage and bolting. I want them dead before setting seed. I know spraying once won't kill them, but what if I sprayed once a week for a while? Will it eventually be to much for them? What about alternating between gly and 24d each week?

I found lots of info online about control but nothing mentioned multiple regular sprayings, I'm assuming because it would be cost prohibitive for a farmer to do. I think I may only plant wheat this winters so that I can spray rosettes with 24d and not have to worry about plotted broadleafs. Even with this plan I don't want an extra crop of seeds this yr.

Apparently multiple sprays is the way to go... or at least you convince your CURRENT customers of that approach (if you are one of the spray companies, which I know you personally are not). I have seen the Coop spray one of our neighbors fields 3 times and my brother saw them there at least one other time this year.

Last edited:
I have had them do that also,mostly due to they would spray paraquat on cover crops and it would look like it killed the rye but after a couple weeks it would come back.I know several guys that will be planting liberty link beans and corn next year instead of RU resistant because of RU resistant weeds.Pigweed is probably the best deer feed out there if you could keep it young and tender

Apparently multiple sprays is the way to go... or at least you convince your CURRENT customers of that approach. I have seen the Coop spray one of our neighbors fields 3 times and my brother saw them there at least one other time this year.

"My customers"???
What exactly do you think I do for a living?

Poor wording on my part. I meant if you are a company that does spraying (like the Coop I referred to)! I know you have much a cooler job!:emoji_grinning:

Poor wording on my part. I meant if you are a company that does spraying (like the Coop I referred to)! I know you have much a cooler job!:emoji_grinning:

I guess I misunderstood your comment. I read it as an attack on what I do. Felt you had the wrong guy or something. And yes, I have a VERY cool job!

If you've only got 20% left it might be time to put on a pair of gloves and start pulling. It's pretty easy to pull after a little rain.

If you've only got 20% left it might be time to put on a pair of gloves and start pulling. It's pretty easy to pull after a little rain.

Lol, I've been pulling at least a few every day. It's very satisfying to walk by a couple of days later to see them laying there dead. I threw some in the driveway just so that I could run over them with the car a few times a day. I don't like them...

Mowing marestail just makes it shorter.I a buffer the dang township trespassed and mowed last year marestail jumped up thick.I had sprayed with 24D and it caused them to wilt.So the state told me to mow as high as I could and let set for a few days then spray with a heavier dose of 24D.I had planted beans and corn in a couple acres and the pigweeds came up solid.I sprayed with RU as soon as they sprouted and didn't even wilt them so I am spraying with innerline and killing it all.I will replant with beans as i don't have growing time for corn now.One thing about it i don't have a reason to buy RU anymore.The interline has to be mixed with 3lbs of AMS and mixed 1 QT per acre.I will plant liberty beans and corn next year

Buckdeer1; It kills Marestail AND Pigweed? Does it kill Johnson grass too? Any residual? Do you have any left over, maybe a small quantity I could buy from you to give it a shot at spot spraying (I imagine it's only sold in larger quantities)?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thats what they say,it kills everything,just like RU used to do.It's made for use over liberty link crops.Yes I got some.I had to buy in 2 1/2 and you mix AMS also

Mowing marestail just makes it shorter.I a buffer the dang township trespassed and mowed last year marestail jumped up thick.I had sprayed with 24D and it caused them to wilt.So the state told me to mow as high as I could and let set for a few days then spray with a heavier dose of 24D.I had planted beans and corn in a couple acres and the pigweeds came up solid.I sprayed with RU as soon as they sprouted and didn't even wilt them so I am spraying with innerline and killing it all.I will replant with beans as i don't have growing time for corn now.One thing about it i don't have a reason to buy RU anymore.The interline has to be mixed with 3lbs of AMS and mixed 1 QT per acre.I will plant liberty beans and corn next year
Anthem will take care of it if you get it small and is safe for corn and beans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk