All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi flora rose options

gunther89

5 year old buck +
To make a long story short our 62 acres is infested with multi flora rose. A lot of the plants are anywhere from 6-10 feet tall and are choking out any natural browse we could have. Next spring we will be renting a brush mower and taking on the project of mowing all the plants down to the ground. Here is where I could use some advice on what to do after that.
Option A: let nature run it's course after we mow and see what kind of plants grow back.
Option B: After mowing, wait for the multi flora rose to green up and then spray glyphosate on it to kill it off.

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

I think they use fire as a method to combat MFR in a state park near me. Is that an option for you?

Other than fire, treating indivdual stumps with herbicide after cutting can be effective but time consuming. Spraying is likely to harm native vegetation as well.

I found this on the MDC website...

"In fire-adapted communities, a routine prescribed burn program will hinder invasion and establishment of multiflora rose.

Research indicates that three to six cuttings or mowings per growing season for more than one year can achieve high plant mortality. Such treatment may need to be repeated for two to four years. Increased mowing rates (more than six per season) did not increase plant mortality. In high quality communities, repeated cutting is preferred over mowing, because repeated mowing will damage native vegetation as well as multiflora rose."

When I was trying to kill it I found a nice dose of 2-4,D over a growing bush killed it.

Also I kinda accidentally introduced rose
Rosetta disease to a few plants. Don't know where you are in the country but rose Rosetta disease is a doing a number on it on the east coast and some Mid western states.

Do a google search on pictures of it and be on the look out for an infected plant. Cut branches from it and carry them to other plants. Using the same shears on a healthy plant as you did an infected one will
Also spread it.

The down side Is it will also kill
You wife's prized roses.

Chemical.

Hit it hard soon and going into the fall + winter and let the herbicide work completely through the colony before any mulching or cutting it acts a lot like privet or river cane/bamboo. Might take a little longer but dead will be DEAD vs having to treat again. Or again. Or...again.

Ask me how I know. :/

Chemical.

Hit it hard soon and going into the fall + winter and let the herbicide work completely through the colony before any mulching or cutting it acts a lot like privet or river cane/bamboo. Might take a little longer but dead will be DEAD vs having to treat again. Or again. Or...again.

Ask me how I know. :/

Is a hot dose of Gly and 2-4D enough to kill it?

Is a hot dose of Gly and 2-4D enough to kill it?
Yes sir; applied per the label it's very effective. Just be sure to exercise a little patience post-application before going in a cleaning everything up.

I was warned by the forester that when I did my TSI a couple of years ago the suppressed MFR I had in the timber would take off. She was right. MFR is one of the first to leaf out in the spring which makes them easy to spot and spray without hitting most of the desirable plants. I hit a bunch of them early this spring with Remedy and killed them.

Bueller fire isn't really a option for us. It would be a last resort for us.

We had some land logged this summer and our forester said the same thing about it being the first to take off in spring. He said mix glysophate and diesel fuel together and it will kill the plant. I'm thinking of mowing everything once the snow gets off and then waiting for it to green up just a tad and spray it.

if it's in a spot that you will regularly mow, you can suppress it. but, you have to mow these areas several times a year. in brushy areas or fence rows, spot spray the heck out of it with a triclopyr and diesel mix. buy generic garlon 4 from here: https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...de-200?zenid=54e755216b194449664a8e6a2e115e2b . 3:1 diesel to garlon 4. gly just sets it back. triclopyr kills it.

also, triclopyr really kills poison ivy. it's the effective ingredient in ortho brush killer for poison ivy.

(Ditto to an above post)
My farm (So MD) was steadily being overtaken by multiflora when rose rosette disease showed up several years ago. Multiflora is very sparse around here now - new plants spring up but they don't live long. I don't know where you are, but the virus is spreading across the east.
-fsh
http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...e-the-mixed-blessings-of-rose-rosette-disease

Last edited:
I kill it with gly early in the spring prior most native plants leafing out.

I kill my with crossbow anytime when I'm killing bush honeysuckle and oriental bittersweet barberry privet and any any other invasive multiflora rose is the easy to kill oriental bittersweet is the hardest

I second the Crossbow^^^^
A quick mist of Crossbow, one shot and they are done. Be careful there is no wind to cause drift it will take out anything it hits... even good sized trees.