All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mowing Native Grass in Jan.

mnjohn

5 year old buck +
Just wondering if anyone had any input on mowing part of my native grass now. It gets pretty wet in the spring and burning is not an option. With the open winter just wondering if this is an option.

I was thinking the same thing the past few days......

Sounds like a good idea if you can get your tractor in and out without killing yourself.

It certainly can't hurt it unless you end up with big clumps on the ground. Even then it shouldn't be a big deal.

I mowed 1/2 a field of big blue and Indian one winter just to see if the mowed 1/2 grew any different from the half that just layed there. No differance so I never bothered again.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you can get in there, the grass should be real dry and cut nicely.

No snow at all! heading up to try it. First open winter since 1994, I cleaned outside cattle lots that year on Dec. 23rd.

Could you just mow a firebreak and burn it after some more snowfall?

Is there enough to sell for cattle bedding?

DSC00494 (800x600).jpg
Mowed a Couple acres today. Me and burning don't mix.

I need to remember somethings about burning, also. My neighbor and me both.