All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mowing Clover Now?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
The weeds are starting to outpace my clover and was curious if mowing now during the heat of the summer would damage the clover? Calling for rain over the weekend if that makes a difference.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mowed mine a few days ago (first time since planting it last fall). I had a week of cooler temps and chances of rain in the forecast... otherwise I wouldn't have mowed. This summer has been brutal with almost no rain, and highs in the upper 90's or higher for several months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd mow with a really good chance of rain, if it's just iffy I'd probaly wait. The clover will bounce back unless you don't have any moisture for a long time. Like Cat said cooler tamps help too.

Thanks guys.

VV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would make sure I was mowing things at 6+ inches high, not lower too!

I mow my clover every week. 3" high. Never dies and seems to spread more every year. Ok it's my yard not my food plots. Point being whenever you feel the yard has to be mowed whether that is every week or once a month your clover will be fine for your area

Edit: this is all for white clovers. I dont think you can mow that stuff too short unless total drought conditions or you plot on beach sand

I do try to leave my plots go for as long as possible to get more forage and hope that they can set seed and really have a lot of clover seed for smothering out next years weeds.

The clover on my lawn gets mowed once a week and it looks pretty darn good right now