mowing cereal grains

Powder

5 year old buck +
If cereal grains (specifically, oats and wr) are planted a bit too early and it looks like they are becoming less desirable, would mowing help? Or would this cause a problem?

Mow it.....it won't hurt anything.

Question... will the regrowth be more desirable though???

I dont mean to hi-jack your thread OP, but now im wondering... I always tried to plant at the perfect time to avoid my small grains getting over mature and undesirable. If I knew Id have the same or better results by just mowing them, that would change things!

Question... will the regrowth be more desirable though???

I dont mean to hi-jack your thread OP, but now im wondering... I always tried to plant at the perfect time to avoid my small grains getting over mature and undesirable. If I knew Id have the same or better results by just mowing them, that would change things!

You're not hijacking it at all. You worded it better than I did and that's exactly why I was asking.

Yes, it'll make the plant put out newer growth....but how tall has it gotten now that you're worried about it? Mine got 6-7 inches deep a couple years ago early in the season and then they wore it out later on....eating it back down to an inch or two. In that case my extra growth just became that much more food. I'd say that if you're approaching 12"+ deep though or somewhere in that neighborhood....you may want to mow it back to something more like 3-5 inches.

I'm not concerned about it for this year as I haven't planted it yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow. It was more of a 'what if' for future years. If mowing is an option then I'd rather plant early and time it to a good rainfall than waiting too long and having an early frost/freeze cause problems.

Glad you posted the question for I am in the same predicament, always trying to find the right weather slot at just the right time of year.

Give your mower a rest and just broadcast more WR seed into the plot. I usually do this a couple times after planting. Then your plot will have multiple growth stages to keep the deer really happy.

Give your mower a rest and just broadcast more WR seed into the plot. I usually do this a couple times after planting. Then your plot will have multiple growth stages to keep the deer really happy.

I guess with consistent rainfall, that makes a lot of sense too.

I've always wondered if you could mow it. Learn something new everyday.
I like different planting dates too but sometimes that hard when you don't live near by.

In the fall I like to keep it under a foot tall. Spring, I just let it go.

I planted WR, oats and clover last year in June. The oats and WR grew tall and browned out and looked to have died. Wouldn't you know, those brown goats were eating that very mature oats and rye in November, even pulling the roots out of the ground. The clover grew excellently and it was my best plot to date.

I shot the buck in my avatar out of that plot in November as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk