Monster Pear Tree Reworking?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Have a couple large, mature pears (of indeterminate and mixed variety, think they are Asian?) in my front yard…they are between 30-40’ tall and this year several of them got lots of black spots (has happened in the past)on the leaves and did not produce many pears(first year there weren’t tons). Is it feasible to cut them about 4’ high and graft onto them to get some better DR varieties? I think it would be a bark graft? Any help appreciated for this next spring project…thanks!

pictures would help.

I would give it a try on a couple of bigger limbs as opposed to cut the entire trunk off and attempt to graft it. Thats how we did it on my brother’s 30 year old apple tree, and it worked really well. We staged it, doing one major limb per year in consecutive years, one left next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this a couple years ago with one of the two pears in my yard. One pear is a Bartlett that produces tons of good eating pears. They other is a bosc that has never produced a good pear ever. Both trees are about 35 years old. I cut the trunk about 5ft up and grafted scion from the Bartlett next to it. We'll it worked somewhat. The Bartlett graofts took off but the boss also shot out new sprouts from the trunk. I couldn't keep up cutting out the non grafted branches. So it's going to be a mix of good and bad pears.

Several different trees here biggest one is the main tree I am considering cutting and grafting the trunk other smaller trees may just cut down and replace.IMG_6201.jpeg
IMG_6200.jpegIMG_6198.jpegIMG_6197.jpegIMG_6194.jpeg
And yes I think that last pic tree on the right has fireblight.

I've never done it, but I would do one large limb/leader per year in disease resistant types.

Those look really big for top working; I don't know if the roots could survive a big cut back? Others on here will have better advice on doing that.
Myself I would just cut them down and plant good DR and eating varieties.

Those look really big for top working; I don't know if the roots could survive a big cut back? Others on here will have better advice on doing that.
Myself I would just cut them down and plant good DR and eating varieties.
Only worry there is that the spots they are located in my yard are pretty wet already and if I remove several big trees whose roots sop up some of that water then might it be too wet to get the new smaller trees to grow? Idk?

I would give it a try on a couple of bigger limbs as opposed to cut the entire trunk off and attempt to graft it. Thats how we did it on my brother’s 30 year old apple tree, and it worked really well. We staged it, doing one major limb per year in consecutive years, one left next year.

Here’s what my brother’s tree looks like 2-3 years on

6a0f104d975691b944c04d5aa2e6b123.jpg