Mobile blind project

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Got the 7 FT tall by 4 FT wide tank from a lawn customer for next to nothing cuz of a big crack. Tanks kinda narrow not sure if I will be able to bowhunt out of it but if not it will be a good lil rifle set up. Spotted this lil hay wagon on the hwy today in a farmers field he was asking 200 but 150 cash bought it. Im Thinking of putting on a 5ft elevated platform that I can take on an off with my forks. Lots to do with this little project! Stand by for finished camo'd mobile killer;)

image (10).jpeg

Great deal. Cut some windows add some paint and it will like one of the factory ones!!! Hope they didn't have any chem. in it.

Nice

It was from a concrete plant an liquid calcium was kept in it. First question I asked lol

Nice, I have wanted to do the same thing but with a hay bale blind I could move around my prairie grass. That wagon you have is a gem, most of the wagons I see are hay wagons and are to big.

Nice snag on the wagon. I have considered trying to convert a grain cart into a mobile shooting house as well. Some camo and windows and your in business. Something to consider - consider adding some sort of adhesive backed insulation to the roof and walls. That plastic is going echo like crazy (especially when cold) even just applying old carpet with liquid nails or the like will help. Also keep in mind to add structural support if you start cutting windows. These poly tanks are strong, but you are asking it to do things it wasn't designed to do -just use your head.

Jordan? Keep looking over that little trailer.....what brand is it? Looks like a beauty! Wonder if that is a sectioned running gear?....or, if it's shop made? Nice snag for $150!!

Nice, I have wanted to do the same thing but with a hay bale blind I could move around my prairie grass. That wagon you have is a gem, most of the wagons I see are hay wagons and are to big.
You know you can shorten them right? All it is is some circular tubing. After 2 cuts, you can shorten them up to the braces. If you take the floor of the wagon off you shorten it considerably, as well.
Painting that thing is going to do nothing more than satisfy your eye, the deer won't see you in there, I have a retired liquid nitrogen tank. I'd put my energy into nice windows an of course a door, so you have the best scent containment.

Jordan? Keep looking over that little trailer.....what brand is it? Looks like a beauty! Wonder if that is a sectioned running gear?....or, if it's shop made? Nice snag for $150!!
From the green and yellow on the wagon I'm thinkin it's a Deere.

You know you can shorten them right? All it is is some circular tubing. After 2 cuts, you can shorten them up to the braces. If you take the floor of the wagon off you shorten it considerably, as well.
Painting that thing is going to do nothing more than satisfy your eye, the deer won't see you in there, I have a retired liquid nitrogen tank. I'd put my energy into nice windows an of course a door, so you have the best scent containment.
Yep, I new you can shorten them but have not tried it. The wagon Jordan has doesn't look like traditional running gear. Jordan, if you can find a brand i would be interested in knowing who made that wagon.

Thanks

My same first thoughts ... a good trailer wagon is hard to find ... :)

My same first thoughts ... a good trailer wagon is hard to find ... :)

Take a good look at the picture in the first post. That frame does not look like typical running gears from John Deere or other implement companies. It could be an old railroad luggage wagon or some such thing......but my guess is it's been shop made from some old truck frame or something. Unlikely to find a smaller size running gear like this IMO.

An old boat trailer could also make a good candidate to carry a blind. Saw a few examples of this recently....and they are cheap and plentiful. Using a pipe that slides inside a second pipe welded to the frame x4 at the corners.....(set screw to hold in place) makes a good jack stand.

Foggy is right on the money. This was fabricated by an ol farmer/welder using whatever he could find. He told me the frame was from a very old commercial lawn mower lol. I spent an hr or so talking with this gentlemen an he was one of a kind for sure! He told me to stop in from time to time that he is always building somthing in his shop! I told him I could prolly sell as many of these lil wagons as he could build. Abraham was his name. I had been working hard cutting grass all day before stopping in on him an he went on to tell me I am the only one of this generation that works. Said his neighbors are in their 20's an are good for nothing. "Don't even cut their own grass he said they pay somone to do it" lol Never met anyone quite like this fella haha.

This is the Johnny Cash blind we built last summer. Got it one piece at a time. Did cost me a few dimes.

Hail damaged horse barn roof for the exterior.

Highlight was buying 7 sliding windows online auction style for $210, using 4, and selling the other 3 for $270 on another auction site.

photo-60.JPG

I ran black fabric around the inside top and bottom to leave a horizontal viewing shooting area.

As someone else stated, carpet or something else is a must in cold weather as everything gets impossibly loud.

Blind is 7 by 7 outside, and the family spends way more time watching deer than shooting them. Bullet proof access cut through a windrow of trees, and screened with tall grass (Miscanthus planted this year). We booked a lot of hours here last season, passed 6 different bucks and countless does, and never fired a shot, never spooked a single deer coming or going to the blind all season.

Does anybody actually make a scent proof blind? I ask because I have never heard of one that claims to be scent proof and it seems paying for high priced options like expensive windows would not be worth it. I have the Stump which has fairly simple windows and it is definitely not scent proof. I like to use the blind with windows open if possible and I don’t really care to sit in the enclosed blind with the windows closed accept when the wind blows.

I saw one at some point that claimed to be scent free. Scent-tite I think was the name of it. Anyway they had a flex tube/pipe out the top of the blind to "vent" your scent where you want. Never used one or even saw it in person, but sounds a littl fishy to me.

The redneck engineering on this site amazes me--and entertains. LOL

One of the guys on Midwest whitetail hunts out of a grain cart all the time