MN deer hunting.....

Minnesota deer numbers vary a lot. I can see 25 deer in one sit, then drive 8 miles and see no sign of tracks in the snow anywhere. Buck numbers were probably twice what they are now in some areas.

It’s pockets of deer. The north woods used to be much better, at one time St Louis County was a top B & C County. Now I bet it’s not top 50....Sad it’s not like it used to be.

20 years ago on one farm I hunt in IL, I'd see 6-9 bucks opening morning of gun season .... often with 3 or more 10's or better. Opening day this year on the morning sit I saw 3 does and a spike buck. Shot a 8pt on the afternoon sit (while the deer had nice size, it was the only deer I saw and clearly not a wall hanger) and I was happy since I was scheduled to travel the next day. The IL herd is certainly not what it used to be; the issue is what happened ..... overharvest, disease, habitat loss, predation or some combination of factors. I have been told you can buy 10+ doe tags in some counties; others claim that the "call-in" reporting system encourages tag jumping (not tagging the deer). I have come to favor a 2-3 deer limit for everyone; in fact, 2 deer per person would not upset me.

It's not about money in Minnesota. In my zone we can buy unlimited doe tags at $2.50

It's not about money in Minnesota. In my zone we can buy unlimited doe tags at $2.50

Dont be so sure about that! Money isnt only from license sales! The auto insurance lobbyist have a tendency to "donate" a lot of money when the deer quotas are high.

Buck.. the other end of 172 was not good either. Just a few pockets of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad Alt left here. I think the hardwood industry here in Pa. also had/has a hand in deer tag numbers. Again it's about money/profit. Forestry businesses would love all deer to be wiped out to speed up the regrowth process. Auto ins. companies hate deer too, as 4wanderingeyes said above.

Had a better year at our camp up north MN. More horns seen for us than the past 10 years.

Good things coming we think.

Aaron

Sent from my SM-N950N using Tapatalk