MN bills introduced to allow crossbows during archery season.

I feel like my minority only special season is closer and closer to coming to fruition. Especially in whacked out places like Minnesota

They all ready exist in certain areas. Take a look at deer seasons for tribal members in off reservation areas, but within treaty areas.

I don't think there should be a youth season either. Wasn't one when I was a kid, and I turned out fine. What's next, a season for old dudes?

I don't think there should be a youth season either. Wasn't one when I was a kid, and I turned out fine. What's next, a season for old dudes?
1000000000% agree! I have a kid and I hate youth season. 9 out of 10 around me are usually dad or uncle or brother shooting a deer while their kid tags along.

If they want to increase the diversity numbers in state parks they should open them up to public hunting if close to a metropolitan area.
They do occasionally actually. Lake Maria state park near me opens to hunting some years.

They do occasionally actually. Lake Maria state park near me opens to hunting some years.
Opening them up for deer a couple days a year is a good start, but I think it would take opening up small game too and for more days, to see the change in diversity that they are looking for.

Opening them up for deer a couple days a year is a good start, but I think it would take opening up small game too and for more days, to see the change in diversity that they are looking for.

I understand now.

Any excuse they'll accept to open more public land to hunting, even if it's based on ridiculous belief structures, is good by me so long as it's open to everybody.

One beef I have with the small game seasons in MN is that squirrel opener is always the same day as whitetail archery. It would be amazing to get even a single week in September where there aren't a bunch of people banging in the woods. The vast majority of squirrel hunting only happens opening weekend anyways, so why not push it back a week and give the deer a little bit less pressure?

If they are open to hunting for more days, will the parks be closed to other uses like hiking or camping?

Yep, they are here. Closed to other uses. Army of bums can hunt to no end on our fence and I can't even step over the line to go for a hike in the winter.

They did this in the Whitewater Valley of S.E. MN. Now they are actually putting gps collars on squirrels because they have almost been hunted into extinction in that area. And not by the demographic that they are trying to pull in.

If they are open to hunting for more days, will the parks be closed to other uses like hiking or camping?
I can use a WMA for recreational purposes during hunting season. I see no reason for state parks to be any different, aside from setbacks for camping areas.

Last edited:
They did this in the Whitewater Valley of S.E. MN. Now they are actually putting gps collars on squirrels because they have almost been hunted into extinction in that area. And not by the demographic that they are trying to pull in.
wow, gps collars for squirrels? there must be some hungry mfr's in your area to decimate the squirrel population!

The Minnesota DNR did a study a few years ago on why there were so few squirrels on public land by the metro ? LOL

Could possibly be the insane number of Hmong squirrel hunters ?? This woke—can’t say that attitude—is just sickening.

If I was the head of the DNR I would just tell the Hmong hunters that you can’t shoot every squirrel in the woods and then think they will magically appear the next year ?

I did a very quick search and couldn't find where the researchers concluded that overhunting was causing a decline in squirrel numbers in Whitewater Valley, but the articles were from 2016. Do you have something more recent where they reached that conclusion? Who's shooting all the squirrels?

I did a very quick search and couldn't find where the researchers concluded that overhunting was causing a decline in squirrel numbers in Whitewater Valley, but the articles were from 2016. Do you have something more recent where they reached that conclusion? Who's shooting all the squirrels?
Wouldn't know about anything being published. This has taken place in the last 4-5 years though. I live less than a mile from the Whitewater Valley so I hear quite a bit from locals and non locals for that matter.

FWIW, two of the five trespassers I've dealt with since living in MN were hmong carrying .22's and backpacks cleaning up squirrels.
The others -two were 50+ year old white guys turkey hunting (separately) and the other was a 30 something meth head stealing apples.

I'm relying on my memory, but I believe there was an article in Outdoor news that summarized the squirrel study. I believe it showed that the squirrel numbers were fine in the general area, but on public ground the squirrel harvest was so high that the public land held few squirrels. They spent a fair amount of taxpayer dollars to learn that you can't shoot all the squirrels and expect to have good squirrel hunting.

If you drive through Whitewater in September, you would be amazed at the Hmong squirrel hunting pressure on public land. They take squirrel hunting seriously and are very good at it. I've also heard from landowners of adjacent properties that many of them often venture on to nearby private properties.

I was texting a friend who was bow hunting in Iowa on public land—prime day like November 7 (rut). He said a a big group of Hmong walked by his stands and some had high powered rifles.

I asked what are they doing and he said “drinking, littering and shooting at squirrels “

I had to bust out laughing, but I’m sure it wasn’t funny to him!

i hadn't thought of the hmong angle...about 20 yrs ago, i was fishing at a dam spillway, was catching drum, gar, carp, whatever would bite, and throw them back. I was approached by 3 burmese ppl, and after a while figured out they wanted the rough fish i was catching. Hell yeah, you can have them all! Go to that same spot today, and there'll be 10-15 groups, with 5 gallon buckets and ice chests, loading up all they can. I haven't seen this with hunting, but I haven't hunted public very much in the last 10 years.