MoBuckChaser

deleted

Attachments

• spi.jpg
    spi.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to guess it's a black widow.

Not sure Mo but I dont think it's a widow.

Most likely a female wolf spider. Their colors can vary greatly from all black like the one in your pic to mottled tan or striped. They are found in many areas of the US. The momma spiders carry their babies around on there backs. Kinda creepy!:eek: But a cool and efficient predator nonetheless. tooln, I hope for MoBuck's sake that wasn't a black widow, if it was it is about 8-10 times larger than most black widows I have ever seen or heard of.:eek::eek:
Wolf-Spider.jpg
Carolina_Wolf_Spider4.jpg
wolfspider150815.jpg

Did you get a look at it's face? Wolf spiders have a very distinct eye arrangement that would just about be a dead give away.

They are primarily sight hunters, as opposed to "feel" hunters, which use vibration to seek out prey. I would say there larger more prominent eyes(of the set of 8) are quite close together.

4797623953_5b24d701fa_z.jpg

wolf-spider-eyes.jpg

It is easier to see the eyes on the more brown/tan colored wolf spiders than on the mostly black ones.

Wow, I am freaked out now. That hits about 3 of my all time paranoias.

Looks like a young tarantula... This is the time of year they start moving around a lot. I probably see 5-6 a day crossing the road... Do you guys not have these up there in Minnesota? How about Armadillos?

Looks like a young tarantula... This is the time of year they start moving around a lot. I probably see 5-6 a day crossing the road... Do you guys not have these up there in Minnesota? How about Armadillos?

There are no tarantulas in MN, I think for most of MN the wolf spider is the largest spider and poisonous spiders are very rare. The only poisonous snakes are timber rattlers that are in a very small part of SE MN. I think they wiped most of them out with bounties in the 1970s but there are still some around.

The cold winters are about the only way nature can kill you in Northern MN and I will gladly put up with the cold.

I want to change my guess on what it is... looking it over a bit more closely I think it's a big ol wolf spider...

But an FYI - The tarantulas are on the move right now looking for a mate. They have to mate fast because if the female latches onto her "husband" he becomes "dinner" ;)

I want to change my guess on what it is... looking it over a bit more closely I think it's a big ol wolf spider...

But an FYI - The tarantulas are on the move right now looking for a mate. They have to mate fast because if the female latches onto her "husband" he becomes "dinner" ;)

Talk about performance anxiety...

From what I have read, there are no tarantulas north of the Missouri River, as it and the weather create a barrier for their expansion. I'm pretty sure they could "hitch" a ride north of the river, but I doubt there would be enough of them to sustain a population given the climate and limited number of others to mate with(thank goodness for that!).