Minnow Race Track

foggy

5 year old buck +
OK....this has nothing to do with deer or habitat....but it is fun for kids of all ages....and it's summer.

Locally they have turtle races and minnow races. Kids like these.....and the minnow races can keep kids busy for hours. A dozen minnows and a "race track" built from some gutters.....a starting gate.....and your in biz. minnow.JPG

Take some time to enjoy your kids and family. Deer can wait. ;)

I just finished making my "starting gate" (sorry no pic) and will put a finish line on with a magic marker. Likely will letter it up as "World Famous Gull Lake Minnow Races". :D Lots of kids coming here thru July....and I gotta keep 'em busy. Kid's get a stick to "herd" their minnow down the track.

Last edited:
Very cool foggy! Keep the kids interested in something other than electronics for a change.

Cool idea, seems like darn turtles are in short supply around here when you need one! Whats the life expectancy of a racing minnow?:)

Cool idea, seems like darn turtles are in short supply around here when you need one! Whats the life expectancy of a racing minnow?:)
I would say it depends on the size of the stick. Maybe give them a toothpick instead?

How about leech races?

Very cool idea! 2 of the grandsons are visiting right now....sure wish they didn't live 6 hours away.

Depend on how hard you "lay the leather" to 'em. Instead of a stick to herd the minnows.....I suppose you could make the kids use a straw and air bubbles? Dunno......I just saw sticks used so far. A dozen good minnows (like rainbows) will last all weekend.

I would say it depends on the size of the stick. Maybe give them a toothpick instead?

How about leech races?

Some of those big suckers like in Leech Lake would be a hoot. Just try to get kids to pick those big boys up. ;) Spooky huge.

Straws are the only way to go... Make the kids work for the win!

Jake was minnow racing at the July 5th fireworks party (I know, a day late).

He said he fed his minnow mountain dew to make it go faster :)

-John

It would be a fun fundraiser. Seems like the school kids around here are always looking for a fundraising idea. Seems like all the other ideas have been done and redone a million times!

The 4H club puts on minnow races at the local festival, they use a similar "track".

Great idea! I'm going to make one for my rug rat nephews.