All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini excavator vs. tractor (rental for a week)

Telemark

5 year old buck +
The weekly cost for a Bobcat mini excavator is about $750, and it's about $1050 for a John Deere 110 backhoe. The excavators available are E26 and E20.

I have never driven either before, but my father in law has a mini excavator I will start using soon to level the back yard and dig out an old kerosene tank, so I will be quite proficient by June.

The job I have to do is to dig out an opening in an old beaver dam to drain the field which was once a beaver pond, dig the existing stream out to facilitate draining, and dig out a couple watering holes for the deer, and drag around a bunch of old dead trees from the field. If I rent a tractor, I will probably have to clear a bit of trees out to get it through the woods, but the trail is probably wise enough for a mini excavator.

My question is: what do you recommend, and why? Is the job too big for a mini excavator, or can such a machine handle it?

I have ran backhoes in the past, and I have rented a mini excavator. I woud think you would be able to get more done with the mini excavator then with a backhoe. But in my opinion, they both will be undersized. What would take you a week, or more on a mini excavator, would probably take a day for a pro with a larger machine, and it would be done a lot better. But, it is much more fun, and satisfying doing it yourself.

The reason the mini excavator would be faster is you can whip that sucker around, and move on a whim, unlike the backhoe, where you would need to replant the feet to stabilize the tractor anytime you want to move.

I have ran backhoes in the past, and I have rented a mini excavator. I woud think you would be able to get more done with the mini excavator then with a backhoe. But in my opinion, they both will be undersized. What would take you a week, or more on a mini excavator, would probably take a day for a pro with a larger machine, and it would be done a lot better. But, it is much more fun, and satisfying doing it yourself.

The reason the mini excavator would be faster is you can whip that sucker around, and move on a whim, unlike the backhoe, where you would need to replant the feet to stabilize the tractor anytime you want to move.

That's what I noticed in the videos I watched. And it's what I assumed would be my case because I won't have any prior experience on a tractor, but I should be pretty good with an excavator by then.

This will be in Canada, and the guys there want a lot of money for jobs like that. I would guess about $5000 CAD for that job. And yeah, it's always more satisfying to do it myself.

I have a Kubota tractor with a large backhoe. Works great but you cannot drive, position, and then dig at the same time from the same seat.

A mini excavator tracks may do better on soft wet ground than tractor tires.

Excavator hands down. You can position and move around as fast as you want. And with the small front blade they all have you can push crap outta the way as needed.

Excavator. I'm a heavy equipment operator. Since your just starting out running one the excavator controls will be a lot easier to learn. The excavator is also a light machine and with the tracks instead of tires it will float over the softer ground and not sink like the backhoe. I don't care for backhoes much. They have there place in the construction field but they are a pain when you have to be driving the tractor forward,get set up,turn the seat around, start digging and then repeat to move again. They are also not balanced well and you have to watch the boom for things overhead, they stick up a lot over the cab. One advantage of the backhoe is travel speed and the bucket in the front helps if you need to carry material a farther distant. A tip for you on your mini is if it has a front blade put it down when you dig, it will stabilize the machine a keep it from rocking back and forth. If it doesn't have a blade pull some material under your tracks and track on it so your level. You can always tell if someone running a excavator is good. If they are rocking back and forth they don't know what they are doing.

Also get one with a thumb, you wont believe how handy that thing is!

Ok, then I'll go with the excavator.

Next question is do I go with the Bobcat E20 or the E26?

You will be way happier with the E26 all around.

I would go with the bigger one. A little farther reach. A very good point mentioned was to have the machine level. The machine will be so much easier to operate. Also try to use it within 45degrees of center or less. The machine is longer then wide and will be much more stable.

Thanks for the help, guys! I will send an email to the owner about reserving it.

Be careful around streams, if the ground is soft you can burry it. Have an out plan because if you get stuck they don’t get unstuck very easy if there is noth8ng to pull yourself out with (like a stump or tree). Tell them you want a ditching bucket if they have one available.

Will do. The ground is solid enough. The stream is just too shallow to drain well, so the water table stays too high for too long. The end goal is to put in a sluice gate with a pond below it to keep better control of the drainage.

Mini excavators are very easy to run and learn. You just have limitations on reach but you just have to figure it in. I’ve been in some pretty mushy ground and have always been able to push Myself out but, don’t take chances to be on the safe side. You can do a lot of work with them in a short time.

I'm getting pretty geared up for it. Should be a hoot.

Get the renters insurance just to be safe. Yes it cost a little more but if something goes terribly wrong---do you want to pay out of pocket? Chances are that you won't need to use the insurance but why take a chance? jmho

Not a bad idea. I will look around for a policy.

They will offer you one when you rent/lease it. I have to be honest, I havent ever taken one out, but probably should.

But I also dont take out extra when I rent a car from an airport either.