Best equipment for reclaiming thickets of privet and sweetgum under 6”

Turkish

5 year old buck +
Hypothetically, if I wanted to do this, what is the most cost effective method? I have used a dozer on a couple separate occasions but didn’t feel like they were as efficient at making openings as I wanted. Better for making roads and trails. I’m feeling like a skid steer with grapple or a mini excavator would be better suited for the hat I’m wanting now. End game is food plots and early successional spots, instead of useless mid-story.

Mulching head on a skid steer makes sense to me

Mulching head on a skid steer makes sense to me
Not sure how I feel about that layer of mulch. I know from experience in lawn applications, nothing grows for a couple of years, except for the most unwanted of plans. Is that the same in the woods?

09B5E760-888E-4EA4-8D95-0EAA1DFBB0BD.jpegC8802110-9D7B-44A5-BE6F-81EB520E60DA.jpeg
I had a buddy do some areas at my old place. I had stuff growing that spring. Doesn’t take terribly long to breakdown.

View attachment 54204View attachment 54205
I had a buddy do some areas at my old place. I had stuff growing that spring. Doesn’t take terribly long to breakdown.
Good stuff. Thanks.

Any thoughts on sweetgum regeneration rate for mulched vs uprooted?

This land had a timber thinning about 8 years ago. The owner took mostly very large pine, which were probably the fastest growing species after it was left fallow in the mid 1900s.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about that layer of mulch. I know from experience in lawn applications, nothing grows for a couple of years, except for the most unwanted of plans. Is that the same in the woods?
I've always wanted to see someone with a heavy chips layer from a forestry mulcher try to put in a legume heavy blend. Those chips are a high carbon bomb and will cause a nitrogen tie up. In theory, any legume should love living in that, but I haven't gotten to see it or do it.

Mulch. I planted NWSG in late-May into a field mulched in early April two years ago. Before the mulching, this field was totally covered in cedars (I left a line of cedars by the fence line to direct deer movement. Worked great and did not impair planting, and far less invasive than dozer work if you are able to broadcast or drill something soon after the work is done. I did spray Gly twice before planting the NWSG, as the weed bed did come alive after mulching and spring warm-up.

tempImageVp2go9.jpg

Mulch. I planted NWSG in late-May into a field mulched in early April two years ago. Before the mulching, this field was totally covered in cedars (I left a line of cedars by the fence line to direct deer movement. Worked great and did not impair planting, and far less invasive than dozer work if you are able to broadcast or drill something soon after the work is done. I did spray Gly twice before planting the NWSG, as the weed bed did come alive after mulching and spring warm-up.

View attachment 54226
Were the mulched stumps a problem for disking, drilling, etc?

My limited experience is if you're going to mulch it, you need to be be ready to deal with lots of stump sprouts from undesirables.

I've always wanted to see someone with a heavy chips layer from a forestry mulcher try to put in a legume heavy blend. Those chips are a high carbon bomb and will cause a nitrogen tie up. In theory, any legume should love living in that, but I haven't gotten to see it or do it.

I had 5 acres of buckthorn jungle forestry mulched at home last spring and broadcasted leftover clover in areas I thought would get sun this spring. None of it gets 100% sunlight and I focused on broadcasting areas that had some exposed dirt so it's hard to get any real takeaways but some spots are growing decent.

I had a mulcher do about 2 acres in zone 3. There was a good layer of duff left over. In the thickest spots I used a toothed drag and pulled it off to the edges. Mostly I left it as it was.

I sprayed once with gly/2,4-d and waited a month. I just broadcast WR the first two years and used the drag behind my ATV before and after. It grew fine.

It took about 4 years for all the mulch to be gone. I never did any tillage. I just sprayed and prayed seed before a scheduled rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using what equipment I already have I would do the excavator to take out the larger stuff for sure if not all of it and then I'd run my disc through it to try and break up what the excavator left as far as roots. Discing only disturbs the top 4-5" and would help breaking up the ground for planting prep also. jmho

Using what equipment I already have I would do the excavator to take out the larger stuff for sure if not all of it and then I'd run my disc through it to try and break up what the excavator left as far as roots. Discing only disturbs the top 4-5" and would help breaking up the ground for planting prep also. jmho
The only problem that I would envision with that is you are now left with some big burn piles which as an absentee landowner can really suck to deal with. You can always push those piles to the edge of the plot but I have an aversion to giant push piles lining my plots. That’s where I think the mulching head has the advantage.

The only problem that I would envision with that is you are now left with some big burn piles which as an absentee landowner can really suck to deal with. You can always push those piles to the edge of the plot but I have an aversion to giant push piles lining my plots. That’s where I think the mulching head has the advantage.
You would have some junk left for sure. That's when I make a few good "critter" piles to get some rabbits and chipmunks for my dogs. Depending on how much junk maybe some of it gets buried outside of the plot.

I've thought about something similar. Mulch the trees and till it into the dirt. Then start a rotation of buckwheat and crimson clover(or blends with similar effects) . Would be really interesting to see what you end up with in a few years.

Were the mulched stumps a problem for disking, drilling, etc?
They were not...I actually did a post asking advice on the stumps, and had mixed responses, which is understandable given they are not "boots on the ground." I ended up drilling slower than normal, and had one stump that I navigated around. No issues with the drill or the results. The forester who did the work did a good job of getting the stumps as close to ground level as possible.

For those who have mulched, and I know it can vary, what was the rough acres per day they processed?

It’s definitely going to depend on the vegetation. Mine was 3-6” red bud, sumac, persimmon, tulip poplar type crap that had regrown after years of a pasture was vacated. My buddy probably did 2 acres in 3-4 hours

5 acres of buckthorn from seedling to 10”ish on a pretty good hillside took maybe 13 hours for a guy who does it for a living with a forestry mulcher.

How bout these se ohio pics? Honeysuckle, privet, olive, cedar, kudzu, winged alanthus, MF rose, spice bush, c pear, locust… who the eff knows
db306bbc21a8fb348501e5be2e936a72.jpg

2c588b11bfff73e22b699375e232c32e.jpg

Same area- Though different perspectives. Took a day an ac with a dozer and forestry mulcher and experienced operators

How bout these se ohio pics? Honeysuckle, privet, olive, cedar, kudzu, winged alanthus, MF rose, spice bush, c pear, locust… who the eff knows
db306bbc21a8fb348501e5be2e936a72.jpg

2c588b11bfff73e22b699375e232c32e.jpg

Same area- Though different perspectives. Took a day an ac with a dozer and forestry mulcher and experienced operators

Wow man! Money well spent