MEdlar and Quince?

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Hello! I have a lot of Hawthorne and would like to attempt grafting medlar and quince on to it. Have any of you tried? Please let me know if anyone would have scionwood. Thanks

I'd do pear first

I'd do pear first
I tried a few different pears and then when I read about delayed graft failure several years into the few that would take I kind of lost interest but if you know of a variety that takes I would sure try again. I did read Quince and medler do take and know it may not be of much wildlife value, Id like to see some different fruits produced.

I'd suggest getting on the Facebook scion exchange group to look for quince and medlar scion.

But if you have plenty of hawthorn, I'd keep grafting pears on them and I'd wait to worry about delayed graft failure until you see it happen. If you get any pears off a tree before the graft fails, I'd call that a success that just cost you a little of your time. Keep grafting a variety of pears and see what happens. I'd do bark grafting on 3-6" hawthorns if you have them. That way you have a few more years before the top growth of the pear would exceed the rootstock under it and maybe cause of the top of the tree to break off.

I agree, bark grafts are easy.. thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I will find a taker and man I can have alot of pears!...even in real wet spots....I have to start collecting pear Scion.