May have buried my seeds!

This is probably the case, and it was just something I am trying this year. I dont have the means to keep the winter rye mowed, so I didnt want 5 foot tall winter rye in the plot in June, when I was hoping the clover was going to take off. I have in the past used winter rye as the nurse crop, and it worked out well, I was just trying to avoid the tall rye in the summer. Weeds are always an issue, but this plot will get sprayed next summer with a light dose of gly.

This is probably the case, and it was just something I am trying this year. I dont have the means to keep the winter rye mowed, so I didnt want 5 foot tall winter rye in the plot in June, when I was hoping the clover was going to take off. I have in the past used winter rye as the nurse crop, and it worked out well, I was just trying to avoid the tall rye in the summer. Weeds are always an issue, but this plot will get sprayed next summer with a light dose of gly.

Clearly regional difference. My soils are not that fertile and my WR does not get that big. Without mowing to release the clover things are more problematic. It is a balance. I think next summer might be too soon for light gly if you are planting the clover this fall. Clover needs to have the root system well established to bounce back from a topkill with gly. I want my clover to be at least a year old before applying gly. If you do go the light gly route next summer, make sure you have a good rain in the forecast. If the clover you are using goes dormant in the summer, then it is a different story. Once clover is dormant it won't uptake the gly and you can kill summer weeds without further stressing the clover.

Thanks,

Jack