Massey 135

BlueSpruceOutfitters

A good 3 year old buck
Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up a Massey Furgeson 135 for a "travel tractor" for doing habitat, food plot and mowing work at other properties. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them at all: known issues, stuff to look for. I'm pretty mechanical and I have two other larger tractors, newer, and know my way around. Just wondering what everyone thinks! Thanks!

My grandfather worked for MF for years so while I don't own a 135, I rode with him to a lot of service and sales calls.
The 135 is a nice reliable tractor. Maybe a 135 owner can chime in, but if I didn't need front wheel assist, I'd look for a Massey around that size.
I have quite a few of his old manuals around here somewhere. I bet I could have a service or pre delivery manual for a 135, perhaps both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up a Massey Furgeson 135 for a "travel tractor" for doing habitat, food plot and mowing work at other properties. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them at all: known issues, stuff to look for. I'm pretty mechanical and I have two other larger tractors, newer, and know my way around. Just wondering what everyone thinks! Thanks!

In Appalachia you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a Massey 135. If the price is right, it will work well for what you are talking about. In my opinion, the old Massey’s were built way better than the newer versions. They had a larger market share back then because of it. There is nothing unique to that model that you would need to look for when buying. If you know your way around, just do the normal checks. And, ask the normal questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are still a lot of theses tractors out there. That is a good sign. I read a article that said they were one of the most reliable tractors built. The military used them also,so they had to be tough. They are great tractors, just make sure it was taken care of. If there is one thing that I personally learned about old tractors from my dad collecting them is that for us it was always better buying one in great shape(restored) than buying one that needs work and fixing it up ourselves. We would end up spending more money and time on a fixer upper than we could of bought on in great shape. It was fun fixing them up, but very aggravating when something is constantly wrong and you cant figure it out.

A buddy of mine has one and it works fine. He plants 5 acres of foodplots and mows 10 acres of clover.