Maple syrup

Are you doing it by hand, or do you have a splitter?
Splitter I gave up hand splitting many years ago been eyeballing that 40ton Country Line splitter Tractor supply carries to possibly replace my old 22ton Swisher.

Anyone tapping yet? I tapped 12 yesterday just to see . It's running, not strong but it's moving. Got the stove done and doing a test burn with water today.

Neighbor's run a decent sized commercial operation next door, due to the number of taps they always get tapping early. They have actually had sap running already on a few of the warm days which is more concerning than good...

Not yet, though I visited some friends 30 minutes away and they were boiling. Sad the trees were absolutely gushing sap last week. I am still clearing trails from a nasty ice storm we got a month ago. Will probably tap later this week, though my average historical 1st tapping date is March 7th or so.

Talked to my uncle, they started with 115 gallons, ran it through the ro and it took 3 hrs to cook it .
I tapped 12 more today. Getting everything set up to cook.

Question, how many taps do you normally put out. And how much finished syrup do you usually get? I was just thinking today while putting in more, it seems like I get a pretty good ratio of syrup to spiles installed. Last year i had about 80 in and finished with a bit over 18 gallons.
I realize the variables, length of season, weather etc. Just curious.

Nice run this week in NY. Two of us tap 9 tree, 2 taps per tree. A couple good days will give us 150 gallons of sap to cook down to about 3-ish gallons of syrup. In a couples days, we've got all we need. Any additional sap is spread around among friends and neighbors who are also boiling for personal use.

Attachments

• 2023 Syrup.jpg
    2023 Syrup.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 16
Question, how many taps do you normally put out. And how much finished syrup do you usually get? I was just thinking today while putting in more, it seems like I get a pretty good ratio of syrup to spiles installed. Last year i had about 80 in and finished with a bit over 18 gallons.
I realize the variables, length of season, weather etc. Just curious.

I do 90 taps on average and make about 6 to 7 gallons....enough for my family for the year and to give away as gifts. I could make twice that if I really wanted to, but it's only a hobby for me and 6 gallons seems to be the "sweet" spot for me keeping it at the enjoyable hobby level and preventing it from becoming a chore.

First time tapper. I tapped 8 trees on Saturday. Had 5 gallons of sap by Sunday night. Gonna do one more collection here and then it is supposed to get cold again for a while.
Should be just enough to do a nice trial run of everything before things really kick in a few weeks from now.
Think I’ll stick with 8 my first year and see how it goes.

First time tapper. I tapped 8 trees on Saturday. Had 5 gallons of sap by Sunday night. Gonna do one more collection here and then it is supposed to get cold again for a while.
Should be just enough to do a nice trial run of everything before things really kick in a few weeks from now.
Think I’ll stick with 8 my first year and see how it goes.

Sounds great. What are you boiling on?

Sounds great. What are you boiling on?

I have a fire pit with a grate I’m setting up. Using a couple 20 quart stainless steel pots. See how that goes and maybe invest in something for next year if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's kind of how I started. It'll be slow going but fun and rewarding.

I have a fire pit with a grate I’m setting up. Using a couple 20 quart stainless steel pots. See how that goes and maybe invest in something for next year if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds great. Have fun.

Wrapping up my season today, finished and bottled 6 and a half gallons today, giving me a season total of 14.5 gallons.
Weird season, could keep going yet even. I missed the first run by probably a week or more so never got the real good stuff this year. Looking at the forecast for here it looks like it could go a week or 2 yet.
No time anymore with baseball season starting. Got a few tweaks in mind for the stove for next year, and hopefully build a proper shack to cook in. Not as nice as Natty's for sure but something to keep out of the weather!

Thinking about tapping in NW Wisconsin as we are supposed to be getting some above freezing temps the first week of Feb. We are about a month early. Anyone else in the Wis tapping yet?

I'm waiting in SE MN for another month or so.

Tapped 24 trees today. All were running and this is in northern Barron county. Should run for at least a week or so before we see daytime highs back in the high 20's.

Tapped 24 trees today. All were running and this is in northern Barron county. Should run for at least a week or so before we see daytime highs back in the high 20's.
Have you checked the sugar content yet? Curious as to the quality of the sap this early.

Trees will sometimes heal back shut by the time main sap run occurs if tapped to early.