Managing Bush Honeysuckle by spraying or misting foliar

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
I am just wondering if anyone has had success with (exclusive) spraying/misting foliar application on BH. IE- Could someone successfully use a mister from a UTV or backpack, or even backpack/drone spray along roadways or to create trails/openings in a large dense mess of it?

I personally have not tried it yet. However, our private lands fish and game guy says it is the way to go. Backpack, gas powered, leaf blower with the chemical tank attached. You have to wait until everything else has dropped its leaves and gone dormant in late Fall. However, the BH holds its leaves much later and you can treat large areas relatively quickly. I will likely try it on some areas we have.

I have hit some BH while foliar spraying buckthorn with triclopyr and it seems to work. I tried hitting large swaths of stump sprouting and seed sprouting buckthorn and BH in an area that was mulched with an ATV boom sprayer and that wasn’t as deadly as soaking them good with a backpack sprayer.

Last edited:
My hope was along the lines of side spraying or misting to keep/increase edges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drone spraying has caught my eye. My fear is that with the age of this mess, even if the aerial application is highly effective, the seed bank and impending understory will come back thicker than Kramer's chest hair (after he shaved, Seinfeld TV show reference). Right now it is just a jungle that is either too thick or allows for random travel deer-wise.

There will be some cleanup spraying I'm sure. I know a young man that is drone spraying bush honeysuckle. 16oz of roundup per gallon. Haven't talked to him yet but the crab apple trees I fertilized still have green leaves on them. So if I ever do it will have to be careful . Timber spraying only.

There will be some cleanup spraying I'm sure. I know a young man that is drone spraying bush honeysuckle. 16oz of roundup per gallon. Haven't talked to him yet but the crab apple trees I fertilized still have green leaves on them. So if I ever do it will have to be careful . Timber spraying only.
Please keep me/us posted on how it goes.

This guy wanted to use a total kill herbicide and multiple sprayings.... while I have lots of trash in areas, this was not of interest.