Made the tough decision.

Shawn let's see what u are selling!!!!!
I've got a pharmacist buddy who's in the cities, he loves to hunt, but he doesn't like Living in Minnesota!
I'll help u sell it and maybe get a courtesy November hunt commission ;)

Bwoods, yes I believe you did look at a property where this buck has been as well. The genetics are here. Attachment #1 the "ghost's" sibling that was killed but not tracked and ran into my woods as a 140 class 7x8 2yr old. I was tagged out and done hunting so I didn't know about it until the following spring when I found the skull and bones, everything else had been eaten. Attachement #2 is a younger sibling still alive that was also on my farm a few times. He's at least year younger, 6x6 and in the 170's and I see no reason he won't be world class next year as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 35
Ok I get the possible land situation, but how did you get your wife out of that house?
Stay firm on price, you'll get it. I look at a ton of listings and That looks impressive.

Shawn ... nice home and impressive deer. As you have a smaller parcel with a home and what I assume frequent activity there, a couple of questions:

1. What do you think is unique about the property (land, neighbors, etc) that attracts those bucks?
2. What habitat projects other than food plots do you think made a n impact in attracting or making those mature bucks comfortable?

Ok I get the possible land situation, but how did you get your wife out of that house?
Stay firm on price, you'll get it. I look at a ton of listings and That looks impressive.

Actually it is more the other way around...she and the kids want the new place more than I do. As nice as my house is in the long term it doesn't make sense for us to keep a house that large once the kids move out.

Shawn ... nice home and impressive deer. As you have a smaller parcel with a home and what I assume frequent activity there, a couple of questions:

1. What do you think is unique about the property (land, neighbors, etc) that attracts those bucks?
2. What habitat projects other than food plots do you think made a n impact in attracting or making those mature bucks comfortable?

Actually it is more the other way around...she and the kids want the new place more than I do. As nice as my house is in the long term it doesn't make sense for us to keep a house that large once the kids move out.

1) It's not a big block of timber so low pressure is key: Only one neighbor in my block bow hunts and that's not too often and just on his 20, the other neighbors only allow me in. Across the road I have 120 acres of CRP/Creek bottom and a wooded ridge behind a house where no one hunts.
2) I've hinge cut a little in 2012, 2013 and in 2014. More can be done yet.
3) Overall diversity: I have a ridge with points and white oaks, grassy areas, berry briars, elderberries, lots of apple trees, a couple more mature pine stands and a couple water holes
4) Until my plantings get tall enough I have planted some buffer screens.
5) Long term I started planting pines and norway spruce.

If someone continues my projects they should shoot some nice bucks on a very consistent basis. Plus turkeys each spring, it's one of the best spots I know to hunt them.

make sure to shelter any sort of "profit" you make off the sale of your property or you will get zinged with capital gains taxes. If you are not upside down in the property. Unless you have an LLC set up where the gain could be J/E to expenses. Just a thought.

Seems like a good price for the buyer. 4k/acre and get a house that size for $380?
Heck, the buyer shoots the world record typical, he's probably an instant millionaire.

How far away is your new purchase from the 55 you currently own? (Sorry if I missed that)

Seems like a good price for the buyer. 4k/acre and get a house that size for $380?
Heck, the buyer shoots the world record typical, he's probably an instant millionaire.

How far away is your new purchase from the 55 you currently own? (Sorry if I missed that)

Only 1/3 mile down the road.

1) It's not a big block of timber so low pressure is key: Only one neighbor in my block bow hunts and that's not too often and just on his 20, the other neighbors only allow me in. Across the road I have 120 acres of CRP/Creek bottom and a wooded ridge behind a house where no one hunts.
2) I've hinge cut a little in 2012, 2013 and in 2014. More can be done yet.
3) Overall diversity: I have a ridge with points and white oaks, grassy areas, berry briars, elderberries, lots of apple trees, a couple more mature pine stands and a couple water holes
4) Until my plantings get tall enough I have planted some buffer screens.
5) Long term I started planting pines and norway spruce.

If someone continues my projects they should shoot some nice bucks on a very consistent basis. Plus turkeys each spring, it's one of the best spots I know to hunt them.

Shawn ... thanks for the feedback.

I stopped worrying about mature woods & timber when I became a serious hunter.

You mentioned something above that completely explains why you are seeing mature bucks ... at least on your trail cams. I think the diversity is real important.

Good luck with your sale and new property. I just did the same thing, found a place where Momma is happy and now I am even happier.

:)

Last edited: