Low fruit bud set :(

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
I don't know if any of you are experiencing this same issue but last year was a banner year for fruit and even with no frost this year about half or more than half of my fruit bearing trees have no or very low numbers of fruit blossoms. I am very disappointed and none of my peach, apricot and nectarine as well as plum trees are fruit blossom deprived. My pears and Asian pears however are loaded and doing great. It seems the trees that didn't fruit last year are fruiting and the ones that bore fruit heavy have little or none. Oh well live and learn . Let me know how your trees are doing

Well I hope you aren't disappointed like I was :( I thought it was going to be a banner year For pears only now. We went from tight cluster to pink to first bloom in 4 days wow

no not really that's what the mystery is this year especially with my plums and peaches they always bloom big time

thinning matters? I remember Deerfieldapples stating on the other board that a combination of no or minimal fruit in 2012 due to late frost and the super crop of 2013 would be trouble for those that didn't thin heavily in 2013. he predicted many trees going into biennial cropping patterns.

4/13/2013
"As far as fruit trees go this weather has been what most would consider "excellent". The eastern half of the country may never experience anther spring like we had last year again in our lifetimes and that would be ok. I would say to expect bumper crops from most everything. This is a year that you guys should be doing your hand thinning on apples to prevent over cropping your trees. I'm afraid last years weather events will throw much of the eastern half of the US's fruit production into a strong biennial trend if growers are not careful this spring."

Last edited:
The majority of my trees are 4th leaf this year, and although I had a few apples last year, they (barring a frost over the next few days) will be loaded this year. Many with first fruit, so I am excited to try some varieties for the first time, in particular, chestnut crab. I also have 10 Violi's Crabs on standard from SLN that are going to fruit. I have yet to find anywhere what those apples will look/taste like. All (except Violi's) of these older trees are on M111 and M7. I also have quite a few trees on B118 that are starting 3rd leaf some of which are putting on a blossom or 2. One being a HC. My Asian Pears and Kieffers (4th leaf)are going to be loaded for the second year in a row. I also have a few blossoms forming on 2nd year Seckels and Moonglows that will be removed.

Thanks for that Matt. Even my crabs which have always done awesome are not budding like normal. It's really weird. I think I got the biennial disease. Not nice

I am having the same issue, banner year last year for peaches, plums, apples etc, This year not a flower , bud , fruit set to be seen on those trees. Pears have some, and crab apples have some, so I have my fingers cross they will do ok.
I am located in Centeral Illinois.

Sorry to hear that. Glad it's not something I did lol. I have less than 50% of my mature apple trees bearing fruit buds this year. I will be out spraying Monday however for the rest of them. We had an inch and a half of rain here last day. At least that was positive and I planted corn,kale and pumpkins

You didn't thin enough last year Aero! Make sure you go light on fertilizer this year on the trees that do not have much fruit. Come up and September and I'll get you some for cider! ;)

Last edited:
Not many blossoms on my 2 pear trees this year. Last year they were loaded.

DSCN2285.JPG This is part of a Liberty that put out about 4-5 bushel last year.

Lost all my pears and peaches and most apples to a freeze in late April. A bummer.

I didn't thin at all but I don't understand why my peach and plum trees didn't blossom. Live and learn. I will thin this year. I got the fruit tree guide from Penn State now and boning up on what I need to do lol

...at a boy!

The majority of my trees are 4th leaf this year, and although I had a few apples last year, they (barring a frost over the next few days) will be loaded this year. Many with first fruit, so I am excited to try some varieties for the first time, in particular, chestnut crab. I also have 10 Violi's Crabs on standard from SLN that are going to fruit. I have yet to find anywhere what those apples will look/taste like. All (except Violi's) of these older trees are on M111 and M7. I also have quite a few trees on B118 that are starting 3rd leaf some of which are putting on a blossom or 2. One being a HC. My Asian Pears and Kieffers (4th leaf)are going to be loaded for the second year in a row. I also have a few blossoms forming on 2nd year Seckels and Moonglows that will be removed.
Is that violi's also on 4the leaf?

I just planted one from SLN.

Thanks George. You are teaching this old dog new tricks lol

Yep that's the one!!!

Is this guide good for non-commericial growers?

It is geared for commercial use but is a great resource for anything to do with apples. If you want to know about all the fungus's, pests and such, all the information on them is there and best practices for their control through natural pest controls and chemical is there. Also the best management systems for planting, training, maintenance and pruning are in these manuals.