All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for disabled vets to hunt deer, turkeys, and pheasant in northeast NE

willy

5 year old buck +
My Dad and I have reached out to organizations that help disabled vets in various ways. We want to get some disabled vets out hunting and but so far haven't found any to share our land with.

At the moment we have built some enclosed blinds that are raised about 7'-9' off of the ground with ladder access and then have ground blinds. We plan to make at least one raised blind with wheel chair access next summer.

Seasons available to hunt are rifle deer, muzzle loader deer, spring turkey, and pheasant. The farm is located in northeast NE. Please contact me via pm if interested or know someone who might be. Please feel free to share this info.

There is also a brand new motel in the town closest(5 miles) We aren't connected with any organization, are not compensated, nor looking for compensation.

Thank you

Willy

Last edited:
There was a group in the Midwest that worked with the paralyzed veterans association and did Midwest hunts.

You may want to contact PVA.org and make your offer to them.

Thanks for what your doing.

Great cause good luck! That's a great way to give back.

Bill,

Thanks for the link. I contacted them and they have already got a hold of me. Greatly appreciate it!

NWWI, thank you.

This is a great thing you guys are doing for our vets, thanks.

We have the three gun spaces filled, two for rifle and one for muzzle loader. Dad and I are so pumped about being able to make this happen for these vets who along with their families have sacrificed so much for us and our country. Two of the guys have never got a deer. The other hasn't been hunting for 4 years as he lost his place he used to be able to hunt and one of the two that has never got a deer hunted when he was a kid with his grandpa and is so looking forward to hunting again. Pheasants and other small game were his quarry.

The neighbors are all on board and have told dad they will not give permission to the fence sitters who have sat overlooking the boundary waiting for the deer to come out. Nothing illegal with that and we had no problem with it except it was frustrating to let deer pass to only walk out and get hammered when they crossed the fence. Our property is an oasis of great cover in a heavy ag area. It is solid grain fields that surround our property. We have planted a couple acres of plots, but they still love the combined corn fields to eat in.

One of the neighbors is Vietnam vet who spent some hellish time in Laos during the war. He hunted before he went to the war but has not since he returned. He also is excited about being part of this hopefully blossoming opportunity. He donated the two gravity wagons Dad and I built enclosed blinds on and a bunch of round bales to make comfy ground blinds. He even wants to sit with one of the hunters opening day and experience it with him. The farmer who rents his land even got into the act as he brought over an old enclosed blind and stuck it into a field to act as a scare crow so to speak to those who will choose to trespass as that is a huge problem in our area.

All of the landowners also agreed to allow us to transport the hunters through their land if the wind dictates easier entry to blinds for the hunters.

This area that we are hunting has a low deer density compared to many areas of the state and we are trying to manage to increase numbers. Because of this we have asked the hunters to only shoot bucks. Based on what Dad has seen the past few seasons hunting rifle there should be plenty of shot opportunities. Dad passed several bucks last year to take the 5.5(tooth aging was used). Dad has had 7 different bucks showing up on camera. The vets can shoot whatever buck they want.

Man that was quick!

Good for you and the neighbors.

Very commendable Willy. Glad to see you have some traction now. Please post some hunter photos when the season is done.

Good for u guys