Longleaf Pine Initiative?

animal1x

A good 3 year old buck
Anyone have any dealings with them? Pros? Cons?

Anyone have any dealings with them? Pros? Cons?
What is your purpose for using pines? Screening, bedding habitat, etc.?

Brushy, we have a pine plantation that is past ready to be thinned, should have been thinned years ago. Anyway, kicking around the idea of having some of it clear cut and longleafs set back out. If not having it clear cut then thinning it out and going on from there is fine by me too. Was asking about the longleaf initiative and whether or not anyone has had any dealings with them, good or bad, did they help or not? Through the USDA so they probably want something back. Gub'mit ALWAYS wants something back.

Link to Longleaf Pine Initiative through the NRCS is here:

Longleaf Pine Initiative in Mississippi is here:

Last edited:
My property consist of Loblolly pines, so I dont have any experience with Longleaf. It really all depends on your goals financially/hunting wise. I had my pines thinned a year ago. The cover and forage it has produced so far is crazy. In some areas, there is cover 6 feet or taller. A lot more wildlife sign on the property now too. At first I was hesitant about my decision due to the mess the loggers made, but now I am happy with how the property/habitat looks. I made money and also made the habitat better. Win win baby!!

That's what we've got too, loblolly pine. Been wanting to get someone out here for the last few years and no one wanted to come out. Kept getting put off Finally got someone that said they would be out and cut. Guess we'll see. Lots of folks been getting their timber cut around me. Lots of hardwoods went down. Gonna' be great habitat for several years now all along around here.

Anyway, about the longleafs, I guess it's a moot point anyway. Just got off the phone with the NRCS rep on the phone and was told our county is not involved with the LLPI. All I had to do was call 'em and I could have saved you and I both a bunch of typing

It's all good bud! It took me a year to find someone to thin our block, so it is common to have to wait. If you find someone that wants to thin it, you better jump on it! How many acres of pines do you have?

Small tract. Somewhere between 40 and 50 acres...probably closer to the 40 than the 50. It was an old pasture. Sure wish I'd kept it either in pasture or planted in bahai grass. Trees were planted in 01 and have never been thinned. Getting to the point they are starting to thin themselves. Then along came that ice storm this spring and that didn't do me any favors either. Also found a couple of spots where I think them stinking beetles been at work. So it's at the point where it really needs to be cut...either cleared or thinned. Would much rather go the thinning route...we'll see.

Small tract. Somewhere between 40 and 50 acres...probably closer to the 40 than the 50. It was an old pasture. Sure wish I'd kept it either in pasture or planted in bahai grass. Trees were planted in 01 and have never been thinned. Getting to the point they are starting to thin themselves. Then along came that ice storm this spring and that didn't do me any favors either. Also found a couple of spots where I think them stinking beetles been at work. So it's at the point where it really needs to be cut...either cleared or thinned. Would much rather go the thinning route...we'll see.
My pine stand is around 40 acres as well and were also planted around 2000-2001. 40 acres of pines and 60 acres of hardwoods. My stand couldnt be traditionally thinned like every 3rd-5th row due to topography. They clear cut the ridge tops, cut rows every 30 feet on steep ridges and thinned 55-65 basal area on moderate ridges. If it were me, I would thin it and either plant the loading decks in plots or let them grow up for bedding. In the future, financially, you will receive more money for your thinned pines being pole logs rather than chip and saw like they are right now. Clear cutting will only result in getting paid for chip and saw trees and then having to wait another 20 years to thin the stand again. If you thin the stand now, usually the stand needs thinning every 5-10 years until there are no pines left. The compensation will be larger every next thin you do.