Local Crabapples your keeping an eye on?

Oh this is a great thread.
A favorite topic.
Someone used the term "ditch crab". Great term. Will use it myself going forward.

Finding those trees (actually 'looking' for 'em) is sort of a hobby of mine.
And right now ...3rd week of November.....is prime time for me to do it.
And I am.
Collected seeds from two today....(and appraised them for March scion collection).
Over the years, I have had 4 or 5 home-runs. As many, or more, flops.

My home-runs are crabs.....and a pear.
With my best crab.....I watched this cluster of crabs for years before I finally started propagating. It was a very large red crab....but within 50yards or so...there were, oh I don't know....maybe 6, 9, 10? other crabs with similar fruit. But those trees were smaller. I assumed he big one was Momma. So I was confident she threw off fertile seed that came true (closely 'true') to her fruit and bearing qualities. So I now have a lot of trees from her seeds....actually the seeds of one of her progeny.
But what she and her child have done for me......is give me trees that produce annually, with fruit in quantity, and hang late dropping slowly (my 'vending machine' analogy).
That's a home-run in any habitatist's game plan.

My flops have turned out be bi-annual producers. Or meager crops.

Too often ...like this afternoon's collecting.....I pull seeds from trees I became aware of just within a year or so. . So I don't have years of 'curating' them. And too often I get 'flops' from such trees.

Here's a story of an interesting flop:

A beautifully shaped tree with a humongous fruit load in November of that particular year. I had just noticed it several months earlier. I was so impressed with that tree.
But it was on the grounds of a state prison with signs all over the place to stay off, no trespassing, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was not on groomed grounds but along one of their water lines, an un-mowed area. Big deal. No harm, no foul.
I had about a 100yd walk to get to it. So I did. Got my Bahco's on my hip and hiked to the tree and got 2 or 3 dozen fruits. And turned to hike back to my truck.....which, by now, had collected two guard trucks....one blocking it from the front, the other the rear. Uh-oh.

I knew I was gonna get a licking at least (my Bahco holster kinda looks like a pistol holster). The three uniforms were standing next to my truck watching me intently. Seriously. Oh, sh*t!

They asked me to stop about 10 so yards out, told me to raise my sweatshirt which exposed my holstered clippers. Asked me to take 'em out and hold 'emup. (they were armed but had not drawn). I gotta admit I had some trepidation. From 10yds they asked me what I thought I was doing. I explained. Told 'em I'd reach into my hoodie's belly pocket and pull out some crab fruits. Which I did.

They told me to approach. Got my name and where I lived. Looked at my driver's license. I said propagating apples and pears was a hobby. And that sorta broke the ice. One of the men didn't know me personally but was familiar with my farm location. It ended up a pleasant exchange. They told me don't do it again. If I want those fruits in the future call their grounds department.

Me: "OK, officers. Will do. Thank you. Have a good day. Sorry if I caused any anxiety."

Whew!!!!

And that damn crab turned out to be a bi-annual bearer.
I sh*it-canned its' seedlings after two years in the nursery.
Interesting story about the prison tree.

Our local town and it’s suburb have over a mile of river bottom with lots of crab apples. Red blossoms, white blossoms, etc. I have access to only about 8-10 trees that are near the road and none have fruit beyond bird sized. I wish I could look at more of them.

Experts say apples need dry feet. This River bottom floods nearly every spring with tree roots well under water. It often floods again during heavy summer rains. I have a few of these on my property and they are great rootstock for wetter areas.

I suspect the flooding spreads the seed.

Oh this is a great thread.
A favorite topic.
Someone used the term "ditch crab". Great term. Will use it myself going forward.

Finding those trees (actually 'looking' for 'em) is sort of a hobby of mine.
And right now ...3rd week of November.....is prime time for me to do it.
And I am.
Collected seeds from two today....(and appraised them for March scion collection).
Over the years, I have had 4 or 5 home-runs. As many, or more, flops.

My home-runs are crabs.....and a pear.
With my best crab.....I watched this cluster of crabs for years before I finally started propagating. It was a very large red crab....but within 50yards or so...there were, oh I don't know....maybe 6, 9, 10? other crabs with similar fruit. But those trees were smaller. I assumed he big one was Momma. So I was confident she threw off fertile seed that came true (closely 'true') to her fruit and bearing qualities. So I now have a lot of trees from her seeds....actually the seeds of one of her progeny.
But what she and her child have done for me......is give me trees that produce annually, with fruit in quantity, and hang late dropping slowly (my 'vending machine' analogy).
That's a home-run in any habitatist's game plan.

My flops have turned out be bi-annual producers. Or meager crops.

Too often ...like this afternoon's collecting.....I pull seeds from trees I became aware of just within a year or so. . So I don't have years of 'curating' them. And too often I get 'flops' from such trees.

Here's a story of an interesting flop:

A beautifully shaped tree with a humongous fruit load in November of that particular year. I had just noticed it several months earlier. I was so impressed with that tree.
But it was on the grounds of a state prison with signs all over the place to stay off, no trespassing, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was not on groomed grounds but along one of their water lines, an un-mowed area. Big deal. No harm, no foul.
I had about a 100yd walk to get to it. So I did. Got my Bahco's on my hip and hiked to the tree and got 2 or 3 dozen fruits. And turned to hike back to my truck.....which, by now, had collected two guard trucks....one blocking it from the front, the other the rear. Uh-oh.

I knew I was gonna get a licking at least (my Bahco holster kinda looks like a pistol holster). The three uniforms were standing next to my truck watching me intently. Seriously. Oh, sh*t!

They asked me to stop about 10 so yards out, told me to raise my sweatshirt which exposed my holstered clippers. Asked me to take 'em out and hold 'emup. (they were armed but had not drawn). I gotta admit I had some trepidation. From 10yds they asked me what I thought I was doing. I explained. Told 'em I'd reach into my hoodie's belly pocket and pull out some crab fruits. Which I did.

They told me to approach. Got my name and where I lived. Looked at my driver's license. I said propagating apples and pears was a hobby. And that sorta broke the ice. One of the men didn't know me personally but was familiar with my farm location. It ended up a pleasant exchange. They told me don't do it again. If I want those fruits in the future call their grounds department.

Me: "OK, officers. Will do. Thank you. Have a good day. Sorry if I caused any anxiety."

Whew!!!!

And that damn crab turned out to be a bi-annual bearer.
I sh*it-canned its' seedlings after two years in the nursery.
What is your planting method for the seeds?

What is your planting method for the seeds?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

After the fruit has been mashed and the seeds extracted I let them dry on paper towels for 2 or 3 days.
Then they go into a dampened stratify mix of peat & sand and then is refrigerated until mid-April when we return from Florida.
Those seeds that have a sprout...a radicle....I put in small pressed peat containers with a seed-starting grow medium.

I put 3 or 4 per per container and then select for the strongest grower. That is re-potted in a gallon pot and put in the nursery for a year.....then I outplant that seedling where I intend it to spend its life.

20231127_154931.jpg

Pic from today. Still holding some. Having frost just about every night at my home. This one is farther away from the river valley and a few hundred feet up the mountain too.

No magic tree, but will graft a couple and see what happens. Could be on the chopping block soon. They're selling land off the farm.

Last edited:
My latest find. Sits at a gas station in a local town. Knew about it for a while but never paid much attention to its characteristics. Drove by recently and saw that it’s still a good amount of fruit.

I present the Admiral Crab (it’s at an Admiral gas station, original I know).

IMG_0279.jpeg

Lots of fruit left on the ground. The area is quite busy with traffic, which probably keeps the deer away.
IMG_0280.jpeg

And most importantly, lots of scion wood! I’ll stop and ask the owners in the spring if I can take a few cuttings. I might even see a few root suckers in there.
IMG_0281.jpeg

This is the one I have been watching. It produces fruit every year no matter the weather pattern.
It's in the right of way so I'm going to help myself when the time is right. Picture from today 12-24-23.

20231224_175033632_iOS.jpg

I love pics like the ones show above by Ruffdude & Dantana.
NOW....is the time to be looking for those special trees.
They stand out with their fruit loads still hangin' on.

I have a half-dozen such trees on my 'get-to' list in March. 4 I have grafted from before. Two will be new this year.
Have 16 roots now ordered from Cummins. So am looking forward to my March bench-grafting hobby.

thanx for posting those pics

I got some scionwood from that tree Friday. I grafted some to a few water whips on my old orchard trees.

I looked into what this might me. I am tending to think it could be a child of Northwest Greening. Anybody have that tree?

I got some scionwood from that tree Friday. I grafted some to a few water whips on my old orchard trees.

I looked into what this might me. I am tending to think it could be a child of Northwest Greening. Anybody have that tree?
I had one that finally died. I have a more recent graft that has been struggling.

Im hoping the trailman I got from you last year won't struggle this year.

I was going to ask when is too soon to graft scions outdoors. I got a few more extra scions I wanted grafted to mature trees as cheap insurance.

You have any info about that tree when it was alive? Disease resistance, bloom times, when the pples were ripe, when they mostly drop. Looks like mid september the larger ones were ripe and mid october just about all gone. They're on a mountainside side on a field edge, so the extra wind might help.

This particular tree is alike about 20 alongside the road, but this tree makes smaller ones. There's a few small cherry sized crabapples alongside this road too. Could of gotten crosspolinated. Taste is pretty good, bugs didn't bother this tree noticeably, and the only disease it shown was a bit of scab on them. There's red cedars within 100 yrards of this tree too.

Last edited: