Little surprises...

KDdid

5 year old buck +
Sometimes I get worn down with constant battles with invasive plants. Then sometimes something unexpected shows up to make me feel better about the whole process. Yesterday I started seeing New England Aster:
f01045c2af728b933be78d0e557c55cc.jpg

I’m also seeing Indian grass popping up in my switch- I didn’t plant it, but I guess that fluffy seed can blow a long way-I have some in a bed near my house, hundreds of yards away.
96ed273f87849498129a5a56a2a60b41.jpg

So, I’m gonna keep plugging away at it, knowing that Mom Nature will reward me with some beauty occasionally for my troubles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the looks of Indian grass too bad it goes flat so early in the fall.

I’ve added some in the midst of my switch where it meets my yard-I like its appearance in September, but you’re right, it doesn’t stand long into the winter.

Last edited:
Native grasses are awesome.. I just started seeing indian and bluestem in our pasture this fall.

Sometimes I get worn down with constant battles with invasive plants. Then sometimes something unexpected shows up to make me feel better about the whole process. Yesterday I started seeing New England Aster:

I’m also seeing Indian grass popping up in my switch- I didn’t plant it, but I guess that fluffy seed can blow a long way-I have some in a bed near my house, hundreds of yards away.

So, I’m gonna keep plugging away at it, knowing that Mom Nature will reward me with some beauty occasionally for my troubles.

I understand where you are coming from. Many times I find something new and I cringe because I fear it's another "bad" plant. But some times, it turns out to be a good thing. I had that happen earlier this year when I discovered some grey dogwood and some eastern wahoo.....I was pleasantly surprised. Somehow mother nature seems to bring us some positive gifts for our efforts! The aster is a great surprise. I am currently try to get some cone flower from my folks place to see if I can get it to take. I am simply snipping heads and scattering in my switchgrass areas and let mother nature do the rest. My folks have coneflower planted in there flower beds and the like around the house.

Thanks KDdid - Good thread. There's lots more out there to see & appreciate than just deer or turkeys. Each season has it's gifts.

I understand where you are coming from. Many times I find something new and I cringe because I fear it's another "bad" plant. But some times, it turns out to be a good thing. I had that happen earlier this year when I discovered some grey dogwood and some eastern wahoo.....I was pleasantly surprised. Somehow mother nature seems to bring us some positive gifts for our efforts! The aster is a great surprise. I am currently try to get some cone flower from my folks place to see if I can get it to take. I am simply snipping heads and scattering in my switchgrass areas and let mother nature do the rest. My folks have coneflower planted in there flower beds and the like around the house.

That’s how mine got started. Last year I sprayed out some 3’X5’ spots in my grass, dumped some old hay in the dead spots, and threw some potting soil and coneflower seeds into it in February/March. It all grew well, but the first year coneflower stays short and puts down roots. Next year it will grow stalks and flowers.