Lime in snow???

Prelude8626

5 year old buck +
All,

Just getting into food plotting and I had a question. Is it ok to apply lime in winter time. I am in Maine and we already have about 3-4” of snow on the ground. I was hoping it would hold off till after hunting season. My plots are currently in need of lime but where planted in winter wheat for this year.

As long as the area will not have a lot of run off you will be ok. Usually best with lighter amounts of snow but it is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Grabbing a few bags of pelletized lime per week and putting it out over the winter. That way it would work into the soil before spring planting.

VV

As Smallplot said, the only concern would be run off. Heavy spring rains before the ground is thawed, or a fast thaw of snow, and it running off with the melted snow.

I've done this very thing - putting lime on top of snow. But I did it in late March when the worst of the snow was over with and April was only a few weeks away. We didn't have a runoff problem, the area is pretty flat, plus the soil absorbs and drains well. I used pelletized lime and threw it around by means of a tin can. The snow made it easy to see where I'd thrown it and also where I needed to cover yet. As the snow melted, it took the lime right into the soil with it. That sour, neglected field grew a nice batch of clover that spring / summer. So yes - it works !!

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Grabbing a few bags of pelletized lime per week and putting it out over the winter. That way it would work into the soil before spring planting.

VV

VVM,

You and I have compared notes and I know where you farm is generally. The only hesitation is run off because you most likely have some plots on slopes. If you are only planting those small bottom lands from your county, then you are better off. Peletized lime will melt down quickly. But, your bottoms lands are probably prone to spring flooding anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

personally, since the ground dis frozen or most likely it is, I would hold off till spring time, as its NOT going to do anything to you PH till it thaws?

BUT!
I think it might come down to HOW Much lime is needed
if only a small amount, add extra and you should be ok unless on a very high sloped site
as if it stays cold from here out and you get lime down to the 1-3 inches of snow now, as warm ups and thaws happen, , odds are they will be slow, and if any rains come, it with get lime to ground faster, as long as not super heavy rains
lime takes a LOT of time to work, so sooner is maybe better , but won;t do much till ground thaws !
you want it there just before it thaws, as early spring you get a few warm ups then freeze and repeats, this action will SUCK lime into soil better than just whe n ground is thawed and stays thawed if you follow!

VVM,

You and I have compared notes and I know where you farm is generally. The only hesitation is run off because you most likely have some plots on slopes. If you are only planting those small bottom lands from your county, then you are better off. Peletized lime will melt down quickly. But, your bottoms lands are probably prone to spring flooding anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I only have one plot on a slope, so runoff shouldn't be an issue. Calling for thawing and rain over the next few days, so might grab a few backs in spread it.

VV