Leupold vs. Vortex

It's only use is for bench rest shooting. Pretty nifty rig. The scope is perched atop a custom built Stolle Panda benchrest rifle chamberd in 6PPC. All custom built and smithed by reputable folks. The gun can make 5-shot groups as small as .087" when I put good loads together and I touch the trigger under similar wind conditions. I like to show folks what a 2 oz trigger feels like. (you barely feel it press your finger when it lets off :D) I've shot it at the Super Shoot in Ohio a few times and regional bench-rest competition.
my neighbor in the UP does this type of shooting. Ridiculous gun he has! He has an Arnold Jewel trigger on it at 2 ounces. it fires at the touch. I think he won a national event last year???? I would never shoot against him. no way.

Vortex are great scopes. Nephew has one and I love it. I have had Leupold for a long time, but I would not think twice about putting one on my gun. I bought a Bushnell Elite scope on closeout of 400?? from Cabelas on line, I think the retail price was 800?? Amazing scope. People don't realize that Bushnell makes high end optics like Leupold, Leica, Schmidt and Bender... etc. I would put that on any gun and take it anywhere.

I have an older Bushnell Elite 4x12x40 on my rifle as well, basically a hand me down that I paid for. It is far and away the best optic I have ever owned, considering I was an $80 Simmons guy for many years.:oops:

my neighbor in the UP does this type of shooting. Ridiculous gun he has! He has an Arnold Jewel trigger on it at 2 ounces. it fires at the touch. I think he won a national event last year???? I would never shoot against him. no way.

Vortex are great scopes. Nephew has one and I love it. I have had Leupold for a long time, but I would not think twice about putting one on my gun. I bought a Bushnell Elite scope on closeout of 400?? from Cabelas on line, I think the retail price was 800?? Amazing scope. People don't realize that Bushnell makes high end optics like Leupold, Leica, Schmidt and Bender... etc. I would put that on any gun and take it anywhere.

I'm also considering getting some trigger work done. My M77 mark ii is great, other than it's got a significant amount of creep. It's not a huge deal, as I'm familiar with the gun. It's just one of those things that bugs me when I shoot it, and I find it a lot harder to get a great trigger squeeze. I'd love to spend $100 on a jewel trigger, but add in gunsmithing, and I've got half of a new gun, so most likely I'll see if the gunsmith can do anything about it.

It's only use is for bench rest shooting. Pretty nifty rig. The scope is perched atop a custom built Stolle Panda benchrest rifle chamberd in 6PPC. All custom built and smithed by reputable folks. The gun can make 5-shot groups as small as .087" when I put good loads together and I touch the trigger under similar wind conditions. I like to show folks what a 2 oz trigger feels like. (you barely feel it press your finger when it lets off :D) I've shot it at the Super Shoot in Ohio a few times and regional bench-rest competition.

I'd love to get into long range or the "shooting sports", but it seems like a pretty big expense up front. I've never really taken any interest in AR's or handguns, as I'd be just as happy taking my bow and working a 3-D course instead. I do, however, find shoot clay pigeons pretty fun, and I always get a few looks when I pull out of 870 turkey gun, although I picked up a "used" (quotes because it was fired less than 100 times) Benelli Black Eagle from a family friend for $200. Down the road (once I'm out of school and have some more of my life figured out) I'm going to take a hard look and maybe dabble in the stuff.

The closest thing related to that whole area of sports is that I'm thinking about starting to reload, as our aforementioned family friend gave me a few boxes of hand loads that are great. And at $20.00 for a box of Core-lokt or super X's it would actually be cheaper after the up front costs, even with the small amount that I shoot.

^ Bench rest shooting is a great sport for folks with lots of time on their hands and a big bankroll. I dabbled into this world to learn more about this discipline and to know more about these shooters and to determine some of my product worth with these guys. I'm grateful to know about this sport.....but its not my favorite game to play.

After your in it a while......you learn that you need (1) a great shooting gun (2) great hand loads (3) and an ability to "read the wind" and many other good shooting disciplines. Its truly a game of tenths of inches between the winners and the "also-rans". For many competitors......this sport is their life. Good folks and great competitors ....and knowledgeable folks abound at bench rest shoots.