All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see some fruit set pics

I am jealous of the fruit sets!
Started out good but I’ve got nothing this year because of the mid May freeze.

While talking about fruit wanted to get some opinions.If you have a 8ft tree that is first year producing and has 4-5 apples or crabapples would you leave or pick?What do you do with crabapples that don't get much bigger than a nickel and never fall or appear to be eaten.I think alot of trees are sold as something but is really a junk tree.I have several grafted persimmions that don't look like females and crabapples that just as well be cut down

While talking about fruit wanted to get some opinions.If you have a 8ft tree that is first year producing and has 4-5 apples or crabapples would you leave or pick?What do you do with crabapples that don't get much bigger than a nickel and never fall or appear to be eaten.I think alot of trees are sold as something but is really a junk tree.I have several grafted persimmions that don't look like females and crabapples that just as well be cut down

IMO four or five fruit on an eight foot tree this late in the season isn't really going to make a difference to leave them or pick them.
If you don't like a crab because of fruit size or holding to late you can top work it next spring, lots of the smaller ones like that benefit birds in winter and bunnies in early spring...I've even seen geese eat them when they finally come off early April. The decision to get rid of a small/late holding crab for me would depend on if it's just an extra or I'm limited for space. I myself like feeding the birds and other wildlife and having the extra pollinator.

I know nothing about persimmons.

Most of our wild crabs hold all winter. The deer and turkey are under them every day until the fruit is gone. Thankfully that is about spring green up. We planted 25 apple and crab apples this spring. Most of them came from the MDHA. Of the trees that came from the MDHA most of them produced fruit the first year. I went around the other day and pinched off the fruit. I don’t know crap about fruit trees so I hope I did the right thing. If not there is always next year.
c6ba4b6fed3bbef27d14cc313f6ae049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres a Little bennylittlebenny.jpg

And my favorite for eating asian pear,this is one of my smaller treesasianpear.jpg