Last years plot

Bladesmith

Yearling... With promise
Here's a couple pictures of my last years rye plot, I brush hogged it the 4th of July and broad cast some buckwheat in hopes of improving the soil some, well the grasses and weeds took it over. Should I spray it with gly and then brush hog it again or do something else to get it ready for broadcasting rye again over labor day. I do have a tractor and old discs if I should turn it all under instead of spraying. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20240812_151012391.jpg
    IMG_20240812_151012391.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240812_150750346.jpg
    IMG_20240812_150750346.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 20
Is it sedge grass that took over?

I have no idea.

Is it wet and heavy clay soil there?

No, it's on top of a ridge, it's a cleared wood lot with some rocks thrown in.. I'm in mid missouri hill country.

Defiantly in need of some weed control.

Next time you see it, get some close up pics of the grass. If it’s sedge in there, generic gly probably isn’t gonna take it out. I’m trying to figure out is what type of soil you’re sitting on.

Have u tested this ground? You can always try, and worst case it doesn’t work. But the more info you have, you can solve for what’s booming there and change the conditions that lead to that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I've had soil tests and amended it with recommended lime and fertilizer. It grows rye quite well, but this year being a wet spring the weeds over took it, that's why I was looking for experienced advice as to how to.get it back in shape for my fall rye planting.

Sedge will take a backseat if your spray it with gly. gly + 24D is even better. It will kill that clover in there though, the 24D part. Spread seed, spray gly, wait atleast a day or two before mowing. Or, roll it in with something after a day or two, them mow right after.

Put a decent dose of clover seed in the mix, then spray a light dose of gly, like a pint/acre of 41%. Do that in the spring. IF it's an actual grass and not sedge, clethodim will kill grasses but not harm clover.

IF you fertilize, you can add that before you plant seed. Like a week or two ahead of time before you spray the plot with gly for fall planting.

Thank you, sounds like a good plan.