All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last years grafts - fertilize?

Red

5 year old buck +
I’ve got last years bench grafts in my garden and will leave them there this year yet before moving them to their final home.
should I dose them with fertilizer this year or leave them alone?
thanks

Unless you have completely crappy garden soil - and I would assume your garden is likely got good soil so I personally would say no - proper watering and insect control as well as mice, deer and rabbit protection is more important in my book. Accidental over fertilization could kill them. That would be my call.

I use slow release Osmocote in the graft nursery.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll skip the fertilizer

I apply 44-0-0 polymer-coated urea at the rate specified in the fertilizer instructions for nursery use right after the frost goes out.

It is very easy to burn roots on young fruit trees. I would wait until they have been in their permanent spot a couple years.

I don't wait, but I'm using chicken manure. Only graftlings newly planted into my nursery don't get any but I wouldnt shriek of one of my helpers spread some in there. They get planted into a "sweetend" spot and get some healthy shovel fulls before I fence them up too. I've never used commercial / synthetic fertilizer and never seen sign of burning which I hear / have the impression that the leaf tips will brown if this is the case. I see this in all the plants in our office...brown/burnt leave tips and I would bet it is fertilizer burn. There is a paid service coming into the office to manage the plants...if you can believe that.