Landscaping with natives

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Well my parents finally let me do some landscaping at one of our rental properties (metro Detroit ). I wanted low maintenence, since I end up doing the weeding every year. I put down landscape fabric (from John) and mulched with free wood chips from our city. I put one ninebark at the left, an existing rose to its right, then a yellow twig dogwood in the center, a ninebark at the back, and then a sucker of a Sargent crab at the far right.

I'm happy/proud that I was able tie combine what I'very learned on here (lumite and propagating etc..) and from my college bbio profs (natives) to create a better landscape for not only our tenants and I, but also wildlife. It s a testament to learning every day, and using that knowledge to make things better for yourself and wildlife!

Thanks everyone!

Trying to get a picture posted!

2015-09-11 15.30.13-1.jpg Here it is

Last edited:
All of them respond well to trimming, which I'm sure i'll have to do in a few years. If my parents like it is get to do the others!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Looks good. I was a nut 5 years ago sticking twigs in the ground. Now I have nice shrubs. Now u have to get into native grasses and wild flowers. I have to run 4 miles every day to check the status of my butterfly weed seed pods I'm hunting. I love that stuff

We have 4 native grass clumps in front of our place, but not sure what they are. I have yet to figure them out. They are still quite young and the 2 that get limited sun are always way shorter than the 2 in full sun.

That is the next step. I.Lloyd be transplanting a few things from my mom's wildflower garden in a few weeks.

I've got false indigo and chokeberry growing in my suburban yard. If you like burning bushes you've got to try chokeberry. It grows faster and thicker and gives the same if not better red color in the fall.

Well my parents finally let me do some landscaping at one of our rental properties (metro Detroit ). I wanted low maintenence, since I end up doing the weeding every year. I put down landscape fabric (from John) and mulched with free wood chips from our city. I put one ninebark at the left, an existing rose to its right, then a yellow twig dogwood in the center, a ninebark at the back, and then a sucker of a Sargent crab at the far right.

I'm happy/proud that I was able tie combine what I'very learned on here (lumite and propagating etc..) and from my college bbio profs (natives) to create a better landscape for not only our tenants and I, but also wildlife. It s a testament to learning every day, and using that knowledge to make things better for yourself and wildlife!

Thanks everyone!
I've long said that if the city folks got some perrenial flowers going that they could do a lot for the bees too. You're on the right track with that kind of thinking.

Bueller - post #8 - Are your chokeberries red or black ?? I was thinking of putting a couple black chokeberries here at my home. The black ones ( Aronia berries ) are loaded with healthy anti-oxidants and vitamins. The fall color is a BIG attraction to me as well.

Bueller - post #8 - Are your chokeberries red or black ?? I was thinking of putting a couple black chokeberries here at my home. The black ones ( Aronia berries ) are loaded with healthy anti-oxidants and vitamins. The fall color is a BIG attraction to me as well.
Black. I ordered them from MDC. Planted last year and had berries this year.

Correction I planted them in 2013 and had berries this year.