Landscape fabric in a heat wave

Knehrke

5 year old buck +
I haven't had a chance to cover the black landscape cloth around the trees we put in this Spring with gravel yet, and I'm concerned that the heat and sun this week could cause excessive soil heating and root damage. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a valid fear? I plan to have a load of stone dumped this week, but with 95 degree temperatures and a 53 year old office-conditioned body, I'd rather put off spreading it until we get some relief.

Dont worry about it. Plant acres of trees with fabic that never gets covered.

Only concern is at the actual time of planting.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to cover the black landscape cloth around the trees we put in this Spring with gravel yet, and I'm concerned that the heat and sun this week could cause excessive soil heating and root damage. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a valid fear? I plan to have a load of stone dumped this week, but with 95 degree temperatures and a 53 year old office-conditioned body, I'd rather put off spreading it until we get some relief.

Doc,

At 53, you are a young buck

bill

I don’t think you have to worry about your exposed black ground cloth doing any harm to your trees. The lack of significant rain this summer is another issue. I have been keeping an eye on my new plantings, and in a sandy soil site, have added a few gallons a couple times. Enjoy the 4th, the gravel can wait.

So far, so good. We're due to hit 97 degrees tomorrow and Friday, but I've been watering every four days - PITA given I have to use our 180 quart boat cooler and a couple of garbage cans, then drive 45 minutes to get there, but what can you do? Maybe some thunderstorms this weekend will help.

I may still be a young buck, but I felt old as the hills this morning after five hours fishing from my kayak lol.

As the day heats up black mats during the day, the fabric will hold moisture from escaping. They also produce condensation under the fabric at night as temps cool.

Every good boy scout learned that survival skill growing up :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
I have never had any real issues with that. I suppose it can happen.

Don’t worry about them. I have a plastic mulch layer and have some lines of landscaping fabric over 200 foot long. Nothing covering the fabric for years of hot summers and the trees are fine.

Worry more about the fabric girdling the trees as they grow. You have to be sure and cut them some growing room over time.

So far, so good. We're due to hit 97 degrees tomorrow and Friday, but I've been watering every four days - PITA given I have to use our 180 quart boat cooler and a couple of garbage cans, then drive 45 minutes to get there, but what can you do? Maybe some thunderstorms this weekend will help.

I may still be a young buck, but I felt old as the hills this morning after five hours fishing from my kayak lol.
I have tried to water trees quite a few different ways. I have a large IBC container (275 gallons), I’ve used a 110 gallon Rubbermaid tub. Those methods are very time consuming as I would fill up 5 gallon buckets at each tree with smaller 1/8” holes in them. Between unclogging those holes and transporting water I agree it’s a PITA. I am newer to the fruit game but I’ve found that the preparation starts before you even plant your first tree. I have made every thing about every planting the exact same way. They all open on the NE side, they all have the same weed barrier, same mulching medium, and the same amount of stakes etc. I now use 5 gallon buckets with lids to transport water. I have another bucket at each tree now with bigger holes so they don’t clog. I drive by and dump water into the buckets and I am done in about an hour for 30 trees. I live on the same ground as the trees so admittedly that is much easier to manage.